• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series TF Body Tub Rebuild

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha All,

I finally began working on this project. My son and I started disassembling my TF last week to start on what is intended to be, an engine rebuild, a change of the ring and pinion gears and rebuild the body tub. So far we have the wings, running boards, engine side panels, bumpers, front and rear valance panels and gas tank removed. I've owned this car since 1972 and the only major work was an engine rebuild in '78 due to a thrown con rod.

The engine most likely has a burnt exhaust valve on #4 (low compression), but I'm sure it is also time for new rings and a through check of all the bearings, rocker arms and valve springs.

I'm going to change out the rear end ring & pinion gear to a lower gear ratio for a slightly higher road speed.

The body tube will be the big project and my son (a carpenter) is excited about the challenge. The main rails and lower portions of the latch and hinge pillars are virtually no existent. I think I will take on this part now to take advantage of his enthusiasm and since we have most of the parts needed.

I hope to take several photos of the tub rebuild to document how we did it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dave - are you buying new ash parts or are you planning on making your own?

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Tony,

I have new ash parts (from my local Moss distributor). He was going to rebuild his body tub, but decided to buy a complete replacement body tub instead.

I have a few books on the subject and one by Horst Schach, "The Complete M.G. TD Restoration Manual" seems to have a lot of details.

Do you know the size and thread pattern for the bolts that attach the rear wings to the tub?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, it has been awhile since I finished mine & I just bought the bolt & nut set for fenders & running boards from Moss.

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Tony. I know I need to replace some of the square cage nuts and wanted to find some replacements. I did not find them in the Moss catalog.

MGZT260

Jedi Hopeful
Sounds like fun. I never got to work with wood yet on a car. My dad, when he was still around, talked about helping his dad rebuild the wood body frame on an Oakland (tells you how long ago)Have fun. To see what really can be done in wood for a car look at the Joe Harmon project. https://www.joeharmondesign.com/index.html

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I thought they were in the Moss catalog....lemme look tomorrow.

Sebring222

Country flag
Dave-
Moss is definitely not your best source for body tub parts. I can recommend Craig Seabrook at the Whitworth Shop in Novelty, Ohio. His phone number is 440-338-5950. Beside being the most knowledgeable individual in the US on T series bodies, they manufacture new replacement tubs and bodies from scratch. They will also provide you with individual tub components or parts. I have dealt with Craig for years and look forward to purchasing from him again.

Sebring222

Country flag
Dave-
I can also heartily recommend that you join the New England MG T Register. This is a group that is centered around the T series cars, providing it's members with tech data, parts sources, concours, and social gatherings around the country. The web address is : www.nemgtr.org . I have been a member since 1972. It's a great organization that also publishes a terrific magazine known as the Sacred Octagon.

Best regards,
Jim Dougherty
TC4931
TC5382

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha JIm,

You're right about NEMGTR, I'm #6278 and before the internet they were about one of the only easy to use sources of info throught their magazine, "The Sacred Octogon". I've owned the TF since '72 and it was my for almost thirty years my daily driver. The only respit it got was when I lived in Rhode Island, I bought an old Ford as a winter car. My local car club also is also provides experise, help and motivation.