• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tech school bodywork

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I met a guy last week and we've struck up a friendship around fishing and drinking. He runs the shop at a tech school and has volunteered the schools services for cost of materials. This includes stripping my BE to bare metal, welding where needed, any additional body work and epoxy priming. My main concern is the quality of work and the application of the final paint...too many unknowns. What would y'all do?
Rut

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You can't beat that for a deal if the work quality is ok. If you check around to see what a full body and paint job costs in a commercial shop, you'll probably be in for a shock. How extensive is the rust repair that needs to be done? If it's minor stuff and doesn't involve replacing floor pans, they can probably handle it fine. If it were me, I'd ask to see the work the school shop has done before and judge from there. Usually, the guy that is the teacher is an experienced body and paint guy and can help the students when they run into a hitch. I did most of the bodywork for my big Healey at a local technical school night course and got help from the instructor when I needed it. I did pay to have it professionally shot because I didn't want to take a chance shooting metallics on my own. Maybe you could work along with the students. It would give you the chance to keep an eye on things, let them know the car is special to you, and help you make some new friends as well. Personally, unless I was going for a full concours car, I'd jump at a chance like that.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick,
Thanks for your insight! The school is about 2 hours away and I might not be able to attend. It's also behind a tall fence with very sharp wire on top! That said I would like to take advantage of the offer, but I have no way of checking out the previous cars. The painter that has done previous work on other forum members cars is very reasonable and I may continue with him, but I hate to pass up such a good deal. They use paint stripper to get the car to bare metal and that concerns me as well. I guess this is a better problem to have than most.
Thanks, Rut

G

I dunno, free labor from inexperienced unskilled kids, what could possibly go wrong????

Might wanna drop off several cases of beer with it too as a thank you....:jester:

"Orange Crate" or Nial's beater sure, something you wanna keep????

Would ya let 'em hack on your wife if they had a medical program? :friendly_wink:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Billy,
not kids and they've got all the time in the world! Just don't want to screw up my car with an unknown.
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, what you're saying is that the tech school is behind bars? I would say go for it- these are people learning trades and there are actually a couple of superb shops in the USA restoring vintage cars. The only caveat is that these schools can often take a lot more time than you anticipate - there is not full time attention and, not financial incentive, so, if Ihad to predict, timemightbemore an issue than quality.

G

Just don't want to screw up my car with an unknown.
Rut

Hmmmm, I think you just answered your own question.

Nothing says pride in craft and a job well done more than being locked up and forced to work. :jester:

I'd say go with the orange scheme rather than the stripes but my car is Vermillion anyway.:highly_amused:

Are they really prisoners, that may actually work out.

For a more positive outlook, remember the Bugeye restored by the girls in shop class and their instructor, didn't it at the time break all time record for being the most money at auction for a Bugeye at R&M. If I was pulling time, painting a Bugeye sounds a lot better than making license plates.

G

For a more positive outlook, remember the Bugeye restored by the girls in shop class and their instructor,.

As a former tech school student I have a different perspective than most. We didn't have any girls in the class and that's probably as good thing...for me at least. :devilgrin: