• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New "Trafficator" now available from Classic Tech

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
New "Trafficator" now available from Classic Tech

I was able to talk Marc into making a set of these for me and he is now selling them to any LBC owner who has the annoying turn signal cancellation issues. By that I mean where you think that they cancelled and you are driving for a few miles with them on because you are enjoying the sounds of your engine.

These have a beeper built in and are of the design the John Wells (in England) came up with about four years ago. John is no longer interested in making them and gave away the instructions and said he didn't care if anyone used his design, so here they are.

Marc went a bit further and added a different tone to one for the oil pressure that is not as loud as the turn signal unit. You simply reach under the dash, pull out the T/S indicator bulb socket, remove the bulb and screw this one in. You will see how the rubber sleeve slides into the housing after that, from the pictures I took of a spare speedo housing with these set in place. You can buy one or both and please remember.....I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THIS PROJECT or Marc's company.

If interested, you can order them here:
Classic Techologies Trafficator

Attachments

• 29359.jpg
    29359.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 29360.jpg
    29360.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 529
  • 29361.jpg
    29361.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 29362.jpg
    29362.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 522
  • 29363.jpg
    29363.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 29364.jpg
    29364.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 527

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Re: New "Trafficator" now available from Classic Tech

Cool idea, what size is the rubber hose? Wondering if it would work in the TR4A indicator housing.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Perhaps I'll buy some for my friends who drive Big Healeys -- I've followed them from Tucson to Flagstaff with their turn signals flashing the whole way.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

You could let them know they are available....that would be cheaper for you..

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

You can get a piezoelectric beeper from Radio Shack or any other electronics store for about five bucks. They use very little current, so you can connect one to each turn signal indicator lamp. Simple and cheap. I did this with my Bugeye Sprite. That was especially easy, since it has only one indicator lamp for both directions.

dklawson

Yoda

I took a similar route with the Mini but I bought a used door chime from an Alfa and wired it up to the turn signal light in the gauge (only one on the Mini).

I had to go that route. I used the Radio Shack buzzer first. When my wife was riding with me and I signaled a left turn she almost wet her pants. The buzzer was unexpected and way too loud.

FordFiesta

Or you could source an old Jaguar (XK-140 era) turn signal switch with the internal clock spring mechanism that turns itself off after the blinker's been on for a bit. One switch does both left and right directions.

goldblma

Freshman Member

The important feature of Pauls new indicator light accessory, is a high intensity LED along with the chime. The LED really lights up the indicator lens and makes it many times more noticeable. For cars with one indicator light, the polarity changes and you need a voltage rectifier and a bunch of extra electrical components and would need to be an electrical engineer to figure out how to get it all to work. Going to Radio Shack to just get a buzzer, is just going to give a lot of aggravation. They aren't going to have the size, sound, and electrical specs needed to give you something that you would be happy with in the end. Then, running around to buy 1 LED, 1 buzzer, 1 resistor, 1 voltage rectifier, wire, solder?.. Most of these things you cant just buy 1 anyway. Also, figuring out how to modify the bulb to be able to solder to it? The assembly takes time to build, even after everything is figured out. Its not worth the effort to try and do it yourself when it can show up at your door all done for $29.50 (final cost). Unless, you are just up for an electrical challenge.

I usually will only give advice, or comment on on something that I have done, am sure is a better way, that would help others. Well you weed through the good and bad.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Marc, I don't think anyone is criticizing you for making these available, or the price. There's no need to get all huffy because someone points out that there are alternatives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]For cars with one indicator light, the polarity changes[/QUOTE]
May or may not be true, depending on the car. Not true for TR3/4. Besides, the rectifier is only $2.50 @ RS.

Obviously it will vary, but everything else you mention is close by my workbench. Chances are good there are a suitable buzzer & rectifier in the junk box.

Note that RS has several different buzzers available, with different specs for loudness and frequency. Usually a series resistor will cut down the volume, if it is too loud for your tastes.

Yet another option, perhaps : Any motorcycle shop will sell you a "loud" flasher. Don't know offhand if they come in a 3-terminal version for the earlier TRs, but the 2-terminal version should just plug in on the later ones.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

I'm curious about the LED bulb portion: are they "color-keyed" to the lens through which they will shine? Most vendors of automotive LED bulbs note that you should have a "red" LED for a red lens, etc., etc.

goldblma

Freshman Member

It may have been misunderstood. Way back when, I had a nightmare time with my original sealing block. I solved my TR6's problem with a custom made steel sealing block, and I was all set and oil leak free. I could have kept my solution for myself, but I wanted to prevent anyone else going through what I went through, so I made my solution available to others.

With the fuse box I designed: I bought a Painless Fusebox and it was anything but painless. The homework wasn't done by the people at Painless to see what it actually took to get their fuse box to work in a British car and there was no one at painless to help after you were too deep into it to turn back. I got my car to work nicely after many, many, many long hours and a complete rebuild of the fuse box. Again, I figured if it was difficult for me, anyone else buying the same product would be in for a nasty ride, so I set out to offer a better solution. I spent more time than I would like to admit designing a complete solution that would not disappoint... After introducing it, experts advised that the same could be done for a few dollars. From my experience of laying out the electrical system for a car and buying all of the components, and knowing the time involved; I wouldn’t be so quick to advise the average person to do the same. I would also feel really bad if someone following my advice ended up with a complete mess.
Even for this flasher beeper, saying that $5 at RS and you have the same thing is not accurate. It may be easy for an electrical engineer, but it is not going to be so easy for those that aren’t. To build this unit will cost more than, or close to $30 and take many hours when all is said and done. It could be a fun project or it could just be a PITA. I offer it for those that would rather buy it than build it.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

I have the original "trafficator" which came from John Wells in England......John no longer makes them and shared the design allowing Marc to make them up and available for the LBC community.........probably not a huge expense in terms of material but an expense in both time and money none the less. I don't view Marc's response as "huffy"..... unless you consider explaining the process huffy. For me the piercing LED light is as important to the item as the very loud buzzer. Is it difficult to make? I have no idea as I'm no electrician and I'm lousy at soldering. I'd probably have to buy 3 of each component as spares for when I wreck one.......... some guys will wire in a door bell or a kalxon horn or maybe a low voltage electrical shock to the steering wheel to remind them that the blinkers are on
grin.gif
and love their solution. Others, like me, are looking for the pre-packaged solution and appreciate guys who take the time and expense to make something available to us.

I have NFI in this product and won't even be buying one as I have one of the originals but I applaud Marc for making them available......

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

goldblma said:
It may have been misunderstood.
Ok, my bad and my apologies.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] I offer it for those that would rather buy it than build it. [/QUOTE]
Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There's room for all kinds; including those of us that would rather spend $20 making a $10 part (or $20,000 making a $10,000 car :laugh: ) It's all about the journey, not the destination.

hondo402000

Darth Vader

I just ordered one, I didnt see one for the oil pressure light,
I think I also understood that is was set up so the light flashes for left and right turns? I know a std LED only works for I think a left turn because a right turn the voltage is reversed and LED only work in one voltage direction

Hondo

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Hondo, I just checked mine and it works on both sides, equally bright and equally loud.

hondo402000

Darth Vader

just put my trafficator in and it is nice and bright, both left and right turn signal lights up and it has a nice medium tone

Hondo