• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smoke from Starter Solenoid

Ted_Merendino

This morning my bugeye with a 1098 failed to start. With the ignition on, the solenoid clicks but then starts to smoke. No power is delivered to the starter. Should I just replace the solenoid or is there something else I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ted, do you still have the pull start switch?
I'd start by disconnecting the cable to the starter, and seeing if power was passing through the solenoid or switch. An exceptionally high current draw at the starter could cause the solenoid to overheat and smoke. Make sure your starter drive isn't stuck in the ring gear, There should be a small square sticking out of the front of the starter. try to turn it and see if that releases the starter. It's there specifically to unwind the drive from the gear should it become stuck. Some have had luck by rocking the car in gear to accomplish the same thing, but the wrench on the square has always worked for me.
Jeff

OP
T

Ted_Merendino

Jeff,

I don't have a pull start switch. I have a later style solenoid. Unfortunatly my volt meter isn't working but the battery cable between the solenoid and starter is hot to the touch, which leads me to believe current is flowing through the solenoid. The ring gear is free.

I should mention that I washed the car right before this happened so the solenoid may have gotten wet. I let it sit for a few hours in the sun to dry but the problem persists.

P.S. The solenoid in the car is #42 in this diagram: https://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29336#top

dklawson

Yoda
You can try bypassing the solenoid using one side of a pair of jumper cables to bridge the contacts. (Car in neutral). If the starter spins up when bypassing the solenoid the problem is internal to the solenoid itself.

The part you identified as the solenoid (#42) can be disassembled by drilling out the rivets. You can then access the contacts and clean them on some sandpaper if necessary. I believe 8-32 screws and nuts are the size you'll need to put the solenoid back together.

Out of curiosity, if you have the pull starter switch, why do you also have the solenoid?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ted, if the cable to the starter is hot, you have high resistace in either the cable, the connections, or the starter. Pull the starter cable, clean both ends of the cable, the stud on the starter, and try again. If that doesn't fix it, pull the starter.
Jeff

OP
T

Ted_Merendino

Thanks for the responses guys. The starter is brand new. I just replaced it about a month ago so I'm hoping the problem isn't the starter itself. A new solenoid is pretty cheap but I can't seem to get the thing off. I've been unscrewing the mounting screws for hours.

Doug,

I don't have a pull start switch, just the solenoid.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ted, if cable to the starter is getting hot, you're getting power through the solenoid. Look at the connections.
If you bought one of the current "New" starters, it may well be the starter.
Jeff

OP
T

Ted_Merendino

After trying to get the solenoid out for literally 3 hours I decided to clean all the connections and hook everything back up just to check before I cut the solenoid braket off. Guess what... it fired right up. Weird!

dklawson

Yoda
Good catch Jeff. Sorry, I overlooked your statement about the cables getting hot.