• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smitty Toyota Conversion

Jim Frakes

Freshman Member
I have converted the tranny on my BN4 with a JULE frame. It is currently in the body shop and has just been painted and wating panel re-assembly. Question is? The toyota motor mount used with the Smitty adapter for mounting the rear of tranny is rather flimsy. A Big Healey with an OD tranny has a mounting bracket that keeps the engine from moving forward. With the flimsy toyota mount, I am wondering if any other converters fabricated a mount to keep the assembly (motor included) from moving forward (or backward????

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Have you spoken with the Smitty people? Perhaps, they have tested it and in spite of its' flimsy appearance it is more than up to the job.

How many pounds does the car loose from the tranny conversion? 50? 100?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Jim, haven't heard from you for awhile. Actually since Gateway hosted Conclave in 1999.
Anyway, the tranny mount your referring to is the one that bolts to the X frame on the top, one on each side, correct?
I always thought the bottom set that goes back to the X frame and is buffered in on the bottom of the tranny actually keeps the unit from going forward when stopping.
smile.gif

OP
J

Jim Frakes

Freshman Member
Hi J.L.!
You are correct, the tie rod is to keep the engine from moving forward into the radiator and it can also keep it from moving back into the firewall. That tie rod is not present on the Smitty conversion. Smitty makes an adapter plate that nestles into the x frame and holds the original Toyota motor mount, a v-block arrangement. The toyoya v-block rubber mounts are much softer than the Healey (even new ones). The engine is very close to the firewall and I am more concerned about shifting backwards than forwards. We are probably going to fab a tie rod, maybe by drilling a hole in the bracket and re-using the standard tie rod arrangment.

I know most people are against the Toyota idea, but those who have it and love it are those who are driving a lot of miles each year. I know I will miss the electric OD also but I still will have the BJ8 with OD. The purists will probably really go crazy when I ask about changing my Muncie four speed in the Nasty Boy to a slush box. (This winters project).

Jim

lou salini

Freshman Member
I have a 65 BJ8 with a smitty conversation. Have put about 2,000 miles on the car since the installation without any problem.

OP
J

Jim Frakes

Freshman Member
Hi Lou (and Marilyn)

I have a personal email from a gent who agrees there is a problem and has a solution. He is going to email me the "fix" he used. Stay Tuned.

His comment is the same as mine, the rubber in the toyota mounts are much softer and with a bit of oil (where from?) they wil soften up even more.

Jim

OP
J

Jim Frakes

Freshman Member
Hi Lou (and Marilyn)

I have a personal email from a gent who agrees there is a problem and has a solution. He is going to email me the "fix" he used. Stay Tuned.

His comment is the same as mine, the rubber in the toyota mounts are much softer and with a bit of oil (where from?) they wil soften up even more.

Jim

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hi Jim,
I have my Smitty conversion kit and just picked up a Tacoma tranny. I am getting close to installation time. By the way, I also have Martin's frame. Did you find out anything that was helpful in alleviating your engine movement concern? Thanks.
Lin
<font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>