• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shock absorber question

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After finally digging in to replacing the rubber bushings in the rear suspension and rebuilding the front end, I've noticed the shocks have what appears to be a large drain plug on the lower end of them. Is this in fact a drain plug? Haynes doesn't make mention of it but thought I might ask around before I find out it isn't the hard way!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That plug removes the shock valve. If you remove it, all the shock oil will drain out. You can replace it with a stiffer shock valve if desired.
By the way, I'd say that shock oil should be drained and replaced every few years; be sure to use the correct type of oil (available from Moss and others).

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks! I was thinking about changing out the shock oil too, and I was going to order it from Moss pretty soon.

-Dave

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Is it a major ordeal to rebuild these shocks? I'm thinking about buying a couple of used ones from ebay just to take them apart and see what makes them tick...lol. I was also wondering where I could obtain the stiffer shock valves. Might be cool to be able to tweek the ride a bit.
JC

This place can most likely help you out. The gent there is a pleasure to deal with. i did an exchange with him on some front shocks and have been very happy. Guaranteed not to leak.

https://www.nosimport.com/?

mark

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Peter Caldwell of World Wide Auto Parts https://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport/
Is THE lever shock rebuilder for most suppliers.
He can advise on up rated shock valves, adjustable lever shocks, and any thing you want to know about levers, he can answer.
I have been to his shop many times. I watched him rebuild several shocks, I attended a couple of his tech sessions.
And he can spot a rotten apple from across the room! I walked in with a shock from my Austin A40 and he knew from 20' away that is was an apple rebuilt unit. It was black like any other shock but he knew by how the leak was "fixed".
Peter rebores, and resleeves the shox along with some other more modern upgrades as technology has advanced since our shocks were designed.
I currently have 14 of his rebuilds on my own LBCs, some are aging along like my wife's Sprite shocks have got to be 8 or 9 years old now, the A40 is 8 years, my own Sprite has the uprated shocks and they are pushing 5 years, and my Healey has a new set of Peter-builts but they are only about 6 months old. Never a problem. He is fussy about his cores though.
Nice knowledgable guy, nice shop, closed weekends.

Frank

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Thanks again for the info. The prices are better than VB or Moss and it's good that they come so highly recommended. Right now I'm on a mission to replace all the beat out rubber that the suspension is sitting on...lol. After new bushings and springs I will be able to tell if the shocks need rebuilding. I'm just intriqued by them more than anything since they are foreign to any shock I have ever worked on.
JC

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Hi, I just came across your post re: rebuilt shocks. Can you tell me why you said:

"And he can spot a rotten apple from across the room! I
walked in with a shock from my Austin A40 and he knew from 20' away that is was an apple rebuilt unit. It was black like any other shock but he knew by how the leak was "fixed"."

I am assuming you are talking about the guys in NY...I was just thinking about sending my lever shocks to them for a rebuild, along with my master cylinder and brake capilers.

Please advise. Thank you.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I had a set of apple rebuilts, I sent them there and recieved them back in a few days with a note, one of the holes are ovaled out and this renders the mounting no good but we rebuilt it anyway. (rear shock)
The front shox blew out at the same time, both just quit withing 6 months.

As for the A-40 shox, I did not know they were apple rebuilts as they came with the car when I bought it.
I finished the restoration so there were no miles on the shox when I bought the car.
6 months later....The front of the A40 was like a rubber ball bouncing down the road. I took the shox to Peter at World Wide and he told me it was an apple rebuilt from across the room. He knew nothing other than I was bringing in cores.

Since then (1997) I have used ONLY Peter's shox.
Never a problem and if there was, he would make good on it.
My A40 is still running on those 1997 Peterbuilts.
I have them in 2 of my Sprites and my big Healey.
I probably buy a set a year from him and have not once had any shock troubles.