• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear view mirror

SargeVT

I have never had a fender mounted rear view mirror on my BJ8. With the traffic what it is these days, I would like to mount one. What is the recommended style and location for best visbility?

sargevt,i just mounted a pair on my 63 bj7.i placed them directly above the center line of the front wheels,drilled the holes outboard of the chrome stip that runs across top of fender,in this configuration they take a bit of getting us to,i sugjest you look at as many healy pictures as possable as i did,youll find a lot of variation in both mirror type and placement.i believe that a door mounted mirror was offered as an option from the factory,and that all others are from the racing spin off,get a friend to hold the mirror in various locations outside the car while you sit in the car,see whats most comfortable, when you find it well thats probably the right spot!good luck.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
sargevt - there is a rearview mirror that plugs into side-screen socket, eliminating the need to drill a hole in your precious car, but I guess that won't be any use to you with a BJ8. Personally, I don't care for the "Ben Franklin spectacles" look of rearview mirrors mounted over the wheel arches. Although they are probably quite functional, I think they look silly, and spoil the clean line of the fender. Door mounted mirrors are aesthetically less obtrusive. That said, they do offer an important safety benefit. As with many things there is a trade-off. Being the purist that I am, I prefer to glance over my shoulder occasionally. Good luck and remember, measure twice...well you know the rest.

Country flag
Actually the closer to the driver the wider the field of rear view. As you move it around, as 777 suggested, be aware of how wide the view is. I like the look of them being more forward but it is less practical. I have one currently and another on its way (to match the Talbet bullet type that came on the car). The current one is about 20 inches forward of the door so that's were the new one will be placed.
I had a MGB-gt that had one on the passenger side that was over the wheel and the driver's near the door. It looked wierd but was standard for that year I was told.
Don't forget that they make suction cup mirrors that stick onto the windshield and don't mess up the looks you like (for about $6 -$7).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: suction cup mirror!

HI Nevets, I would recommend the bullet style fender mounted mirror.1} they stay adjusted and 2} are less subject to breakage.Additionally, they can be purchased with a wide angle lens and I also recommend this type for the passenger side of the car.--Fwiw---Keoke

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Keoke - thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with the bullet style mirror, they're nice. But I have no interest in mounting a mirror on my car...just not comfortable with the idea of violating my car with a drill bit. A suction cup mirror, or one that mounts to my sidescreen socket, now that's a different story.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Nevets, The side screen socket type are ok too just get a wide angle one for the passenger side.I do not like the floppy suction cup things and you need something outside the car when the hood is up---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Re: Rear view mirror *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dave Russell

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BJ8's do not have wind screen post holes Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My blue BJ8 car came originally according to the Heritage cerificate with the Two Fender mouunted Talbot Stainless Steel Bullet mirrors. Sure glad it did I couldn't afford to put then on.--Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---Sarge go with the fender mounted bullet type. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I had my BJ8 repainted, I added bullet mirrors (Moss, 222-372)to the doors. They are mounted under the chrome door mouldings and just forward from where the tonneau snap studs are located. However, I could not see much of anything with the regular mirrors, so I replaced them with convex ones from NAPA. To get the new convex mirrors to fit in the Moss bullets, I had to slightly trim some of the plastic edge that surrounded the convex mirror, but they work. Visibility is ok, but not great. That said, I think fender mounted mirrors are useless from a visibility standpoint. The Moss mirrors are not expensive ($43), but the quality is just so so.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
BJ8's do not have wind screen post holes Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Keoke, you are of course correct. I deleted the post.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Shorn,they work great if you have good mirrors with 4" diameter lenses and use the convex lens on the passenger side of the car.Their advantage IMOP is once they are correctly set they do not move. On the other hand, at speed my boomer rangs will shift. Both sets are fender Mounted---Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

You not suppose to do that Dave! also you got Mail.Keoke

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
While we are considering rear view mirrors I'm looking for a "dipping" (glare-reducing) mirror similar in appearance to the stock one in my car that would attach to the original base stem. I'm told that such a mirror was supplied on some of the earlier Jag sedans. Does anyone have any knowledge here that they can share?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Michael, Yes we do have such a mirror on the Daimler and the Jag MK11 Saloons but they are squareish in shape and a bit larger than the ones used on the Healey cars.If you check out XK's I think they list and show what is available for the early saloons.I simply turn my Healey dash mirror down and rely on the side mirrors at night. However,if I am traveling hood down I have the ski boat mirror fixed to the top of the windscreen and it does not reflect directly in your eyes and gives good panoramic view behind you. Contrastingly, the one on the dash can blind you in night time traffic---Fwiw---Keoke--OH! by the way Sports & Classics also support Jaguar cars.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi SargeVT,
Here is another option of mirror placement. I am considering it for my car. The mirror is bolted to the chrome trim on top of the door. The bolt goes through the trim, continues through the door and has a thin nut on the inside of the outer door skin. There is enough space between the nut and the window. So the window still goes up and down. Nice thing about this placement, is if one changes his/her mind, you simply replace the chrome. No hole in the fender or door to fix. Which can be expensive. Photo attached. Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hi SargeVT,
Here is another option of mirror placement. I am considering it for my car. The mirror is bolted to the chrome trim on top of the door. The bolt goes through the trim, continues through the door and has a thin nut on the inside of the outer door skin. There is enough space between the nut and the window. So the window still goes up and down. Nice thing about this placement, is if one changes his/her mind, you simply replace the chrome. No hole in the fender or door to fix. Which can be expensive. Photo attached. Roger [/quo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif ASMHLY: "Top DOOR FINISHER/Chrome=$130.0 ea. Plus they do not fit! Sarge get the bullets---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ASMHY, the mirror looks good on that car be sure and put a spacer behind the Finisher so you do not squash it when the mirror is bolted down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Sarge,
Holden Vintage has a nice selection of mirrors, and pictures too. They also have the convex glass for the passenger side. Holden

OP
S

SargeVT

Thanks to all of you for your sugestions and thoughts. I was hoping that there would be one answer so I wouldn't have to make a decision! Though I am some what of a purist myself, But since my neck doesn't allow me to turn my head as far as it used to, it looks like I will have to go with the fender mounts with the best field of vision. I will have to check on a post I saw the other day about a mirror that mounts on the top of the wind screen. Since I only drive with the top down, maybe thats thats a possibility.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This won't help Sarge and other convertible drivers, but for those with 6-cylinder roadsters who like a mirror mounted close to the cockpit, The Cape makes a mirror that goes in place of the screw at the windshield stantion base and thus eliminates having to drill any hole. Though they come in both LH and Rh confingurations, you cannot easily see around the off-side stantion, though perhaps some bending of the mounting arm might work.