• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lopsided Rear View

RAC68

Darth Vader
I need your IDEAS.

We have discussed sagging or lopsided rear car views and the primary solution offered was to replace or re-arch the springs … with the hopes they will settle evenly. This fix seems to be the only one because the Healey’s leafs are attached to the bottom of the axel housing and flexes above the frame. Although this suspension configuration provides a low center of gravity, the usual placement of spacers between the leaf and housing will lower the body rather than bring it up.

So, is there a way to even the body by adjusting suspension attachments?

As you can see from the pictures, the left side of my car is slightly lower than the right and, since I am not in the car, not produced by my body weight (but probably emphasized when I am). The interchange of Leaf Springs created no difference in measurements.
Left%2520Rear%2520Wheel%2520Measurements.JPG
Right%2520Rear%2520Wheel.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Although side-to-side measurement differences are something many would not bother with, they do represent a situation that a little adjustment could easily correct on most other cars. Let me be clear, I am not that concerned about the 3/8" side-to-side difference in my car but using it as an example in order to find a method I and others can use to deal with this type of problem. However, in my case, I like the look of the higher right side and would like to raise the left to match it.

So, how can we tweak the suspension to correct this type of condition? Since adding a spacer under the spring/housing attachment will not work (mentioned above) and tight-clearance eliminates the reduction of shackle length, would moving the leaf’s inboard attachment point downward do the trick? If so, what removable add-on can we create to allow us to us to easily adjust this contact point?

Ideas?

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You could put a spacer on the right side and lower it to match the left.
That is exactly what I did on my TR6... the drivers side was lower. Richard Good of GoodParts made me a spacer for the LR spring.

edit: I just re-read the original post and I see that a spacer may not work...

JAV

Silver
Country flag
You might measure the exact distance between the spring mounts. If uneven, some creative welding could correct the issue.

John

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
After posting my request, it hit me that this same problem was addressed at the other end of our suspension with the asymmetric bushings used to provide toe adjustment. This looked like a promising approach and an easy replacement for the inboard leaf bushing as an upward or downward displacement could be achieved for a fixed distance at this attachment point. Although the displacement distance would be greatest at the body attachment, zero at the shackle, and somewhere in-between at the axel housing (non-linear due to spring effect), an example would be required to test the approach and see if both, sufficient body movement and spring action could be achieved.
Leaf%2520Body%2520Attachment%2520Modification-001.jpg

Before I go any further, I would like your thoughts?

1. Do you thing sufficient upward body movement will be produced when weight is carried by the wheels and springs”
  2. Will spring action be adversely affected by altering the inboard leaf attachment displacement?
  3. Is the spring bushing sufficiently large to allow enough displacement for adequate body lift to be produced?

Is there a better way?

UPDATE:

Just came back from a friend who had a leaf spring availablefor measurement. I found that I was fartoo generous with the bushing space available to contribute a displacement. The rubber surrounding the center collar wasonly 3/16” and is also encircled by a metal collar as well. I was unaware of the outer metal collar and ambeginning to doubt that there is enough rubber to provide sufficient space toproduce noticeable change in body height. I may be able to increase the adjustment space by replacing the rubberand outer metal collar with the use of a urethane bushing, however, thisreplacement will only by us another 1/8” for a total of 5/16” with no supportor separation between the center collar (protecting the mounting bolt) and leafspring.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ray,
As a trial you could remove the forward attachment point. Put the bolt back in the now empty support and then put the spring under the bolt. You may have to block the rear shackle so the spring won't slip out from under the front support. This will move the front attachment point up half the diameter of the spring front support eyelet and let you check to see if the car is more or less level. Is the distance from the top of the spring to the differential housing the same on both sides? Have a good day!

John

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Good idea John. Itseems so obvious, once presented, that this is probably the easiest way toidentify the effect of moving the inboard attachment point,

Thanks and all the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
I suppose that if you took both springs off and stood them side by side on the floor they would be the same size? Maybe they are not and somewhere over the years somebody replaced one and not the other?

Maybe they were re arked and now one has setteled?

Maybe they were rebuilt with different size leaves incerted to replace a broken one on one side and not the other? I had this problem with rebuilt springs on a 1948 Ford PU. They replaced the broken spring leaves with thicker metal leaves.
Not the same number of broken leaves on both sides. Therefore, the truck leaned to one side some. I never got them evened out.

God Luck.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Scott,

The springs areexactly alike. I initially checked for adifference by exchanged them side-to-side and got the same height measurements.

Thanks for yourthoughts,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hi Scott,

The springs areexactly alike. I initially checked for adifference by exchanged them side-to-side and got the same height measurements.

Thanks for yourthoughts,
Ray (64BJ8P1)
Frame bent? Rear Fender opening the same on each side? I've seen a lot of unusal variances since the '70's.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Patrick,

Although the frame is straight, the Healey was hand assembled with the shell components were not laser-produced and chosen from a large bin for best fit. It is probable that the car shell is not accurately symmetric side-to-side and I expect that some of the 3/8” difference is not related to suspension but attributable to stampings and assembly that you have identified.

However, that being said, the purpose of this thread is to identify (for all) if there is any easy way to modify body height through an easy rear suspension adjustment as on other cars and I am using my Healey as the test case. At this point, I have not come up with an approach and only gained a thought of where to focus attention. My Healey’s 3/8” side-to-side difference seems only obvious to me and I am getting close to deciding that this may not be an attainable goal.

Thanks Patrick and all the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Are you certain the front isn't the culprit? Perhaps raising the front spring height with spacers would fix the rear height differance.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi John,

No, I am not certain that raising the front will bring the back up, however, since the frame acts as a straight connecting edge and the rear frame cross-member is also a little lower on the left side (1/8”), I wouldn’t think it would. But…I don’t know.

Thanks for the thought. It is exactly what I am looking to the group for and will not rule anything out until it is tested. I expect that simply jacking the cat at the forward edge of the frame could indicate the effect you are presenting. Let me know if I am wrong?

It is cold and raw at the NJ Shore and my garage is unheated so I will be putting any further testing off for a while.

Thanks again,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am relatively new to the Healey (restoring my first), however, I have a lot of experience with American muscle cars and if the frame is not twisted/tweaked, the culprit is probably in the front. If the front springs are not properly seated in the perches, the problem is transferred to the opposite side on the rear. eg. Higher right front......lower left rear. It is possible, although not probable, that one of the front springs is "softer". I would check the perches first. i had this problem with my 69 camaro (project prior to the latest healey). Hope this helps.

Doug