• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A rear view mirror placement

jharmon

Freshman Member
I don't have wing mirrors on my TR3A. I see in a lot of the pics that a lot of people do. I like the look of the fenders without the mirrors a lot but I am mulling over the virtues.

The main question I have is - are they very useful? I mean, don't they shake around so much, and are so far away out there, that you can't see anything with them anyway?

Thanks
Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A convex wing mirror is useful, that said I did away with mine (drivers side only) with the last respray.

Since I almost always drive with the top down it is fairly easy to be aware of traffic around you though I sometimes use a clip on mirror. I have 2 -- one is a mirror Moss used to sell that clamped onto the tenon plate of the windscreen stancion. Not very satisfactory due to very limited adjustment. The other is a home-made version using an old Lucas convex mirror that mounts to a LTD peg on the drivers side -- works very well when I am using just the aeroscreen.

There was a fellow in the UK who came up with a mirror that used a mount that replaced one of the Dzus fasteners on the driver's side windscreen (perhaps only effective for TR3s with removable windscreens).

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Jim,

I have the convex mirrors mounted on my car. I'm about 5'6" so the rear view mirror blocks my view of the passenger side fender mounted mirror. I have to move around in the seat to use it, so I really don't use it much. Depending upon your height and placement on the fender it might be more useful to you. The driver's side mirror is useable. These mirrors are easily bumped by walking near the car and as a result often need adjustment. I mostly rely on the rear view mirror.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Wing mirrors were on the TR3B when it arrived from CA, and they were next to useless. As Dave said, forever getting knocked out of place - heavy risk of divorce if the wife's trying to adjust them while you're sitting in the car giving instructions.

Hopeless in the rain too because they were too far away to wipe clean.

A motorbike handlebar mirror attached via its chromed stem to the Dzuz fastener works well. They can also be adapted for the later bolt through staunchions. A correctly cranked Dzuz fastener mirror will clear the sidescreen on a fully opened door.

Viv.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
...A motorbike handlebar mirror attached via its chromed stem to the Dzuz fastener works well...

That's the one! I recall now at least I think I recall) that it was a TR owner in Oz that came up with this and made several for friends but no, I think, for the general public. Gets me thinking...

lbcs_r_fun

Jedi Hopeful
jharmon said:
I don't have wing mirrors on my TR3A. I see in a lot of the pics that a lot of people do. I like the look of the fenders without the mirrors a lot but I am mulling over the virtues.

The main question I have is - are they very useful? I mean, don't they shake around so much, and are so far away out there, that you can't see anything with them anyway?

Thanks
Jim

<span style="font-weight: bold">No!</span> They are functionally useless.

Use a windscreen mounted mirror. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Desmo mirrors</span></span> are still available from old blimey (try Holden) in plano or convex. They are quite nice - less common than the Lucas wing mirrors!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Desmo Mirror</span>
233.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Typical Windscreen Mountings </span>
If you want to use a Lucas style wing mirror, mount them on the windscreen. You can buy a clamping type base separately or have a base made with a thread into one of the windscreen mounting holes. The first photo is very nice where a piece of billet alum. was made into a base which utilizes the stanchion attachment holes.

TRA_23.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Clamping Base</span></span>

P1030642-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Desmo mounted on one of those under-powered octagon things! </span> :devilgrin:
2.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
As usual, opinions vary. I have convex mirrors on both wings, and find them essential for driving in daily traffic. My car does vibrate a lot more than it should (still haven't solved the balance problems with the front hubs), but for some reason the wing mirrors don't vibrate nearly as badly as the scuttle mirror does.

My biggest problem is that people walk by the car and bump into the wing mirrors, and they are a pain to get readjusted properly.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My experience is that the fender mounted mirrors stay out of adjustment most of the time. And...I have seen several fender mounted mirrors that when bumped hard enough put a crease in the fender...that was the case with my car. So when we did the restoration we went without fender mirrors.
I have a nice mirror that secures to the windshield frame with a allen wrench. Don't use it often...but when we do the weekend trips I mount it at that time. Purchased it from a British Car repair shop in San Diego. Gil NoCal

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
GilsTR said:
And...I have seen several fender mounted mirrors that when bumped hard enough put a crease in the fender...that was the case with my car. So when we did the restoration we went without fender mirrors.

I hear that! When I got my car the wing mirrors were loose. Once I removed them, they covered at least 4 different sets of holes. Each had obviously mounted a mirror, and then been knocked/vibrated till the holes were too big and the mirrors fell off. After spending a few days welding and grinding...have am not even considering the wing mirrors.

I do like the idea of the bolt on windscreen mirrors...Good info!

John

Twosheds

Darth Vader
My wing mirror stalks are spring-loaded so that a bump from a pedestrian won't put them out of adjustment.

The downside is that the spring is too weak and the force of drag on the mirror at highway speeds pushes it back enough to cause it to be useless!

I like the mirrorless wing look, too.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, Tex in the UK sells spring-loaded wing mirrors. I've heard that they work well, but it hasn't been enough of a problem for me to spring for the price.

Mine have the nut just snug, so they will still turn if enough force is applied. Doesn't happen very often, usually they just brush by the mirror enough to knock it out of place. But I do try to avoid parking where there is a lot of foot traffic; like in the middle of the lot instead of next to the front door.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I have convex wing mounted mirrors on BOTH sides and as others have said the most difficulty is keeping them adjusted correctly. I believe Frank in CA. came up with a novel idea that has lots of merit. Go to your local auto "recycler' yard and hunt up a ford pickup RIGHT side mirror........you know the one with the printing that says "If I can see you, you're losing". You can usually buy these convex mirrors for under $10. Go to a good local glass shop and you can have them cut at least 3-5 pieces to fit the dash mirror. Install the new one and you will be astounded at the difference!
Gordon

HerronScott

Darth Vader
OK, it's not a TR3, but I put convex wing mirrors on both front fenders of my TR4A when I restored it and found them very useable. This was used as my daily driver for about 5 years including a couple of years with a daily 70 mile drive to work via Interstate. I didn't have much problem with people knocking the mirrors out of alignment but then again I always parked far away from all other vehicles.

I certainly plan on doing the same with my TR3A as well.

Here are pictures of my restored TR4A back in 1985 which came with fender-mounted bullet mirrors originally and my second TR4A which also came with fender-mounted bullet mirrors.

1966TR4A0001.jpg

1967TR4A0001.jpg

Scott