• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Rear Bumper Distance Tubes

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Quick question for you. Just trying to wrap up the rear valence section on my car before I finally install the close out panels. I have a question on the distance tubes that fit inside the welded tubes that run through the rear valence.

I have purchased distance tubes from TRF some time ago and finally dug them out of the parts stash. They are completely different from what I pulled off my car but I can see how they would work if I were to use them . Looks like my PO made a "custom" solution to fit the bumpers and fabricated his own distance tubes but I want to be sure.

Here are some photos for comparison.

Distance Tubes from TRF

P1100013.jpg

P1100016.jpg

VS what I pulled out of the car

P1100020.jpg

P1100022.jpg

The top of the new distance tubes are threaded.

P1100024.jpg

Does it look like I have the right part?

Cheers,
Dave

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Your old ones look like the ones on all my 3As, as well as what is shown in the SPC. The TRF part appears to be an "improved" design.

Attachments

• 27450.jpg
    27450.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 303
OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks,

Should work though Randall wouldn't you agree with a short bolt threaded into the top through the bracket?

Cheers,
David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It also seems very unlike TRF to sell an "improved" part under the original part number. I'm guessing that their supplier made the change without TRF's knowledge. Likely if you want to return them, they would supply the "proper" parts.

But it looks like what you have should work fine, and the change will be invisible.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interesting ... I received a new distance tube for Christmas and it was the same as the ones you have Tush. What I ordered was one long bolt and one distance tube (from Moss) so I'd have a set (as I have one original). Still don't have two the same although I'm guessing it would work fine. I agree, why change a simple system that seems to work fine to a more complex one. If you plan to use the "new" ones Tush, I'd be interested in the old style tube if you want to part with it. Cheers, Mike

HerronScott

Darth Vader
So I wonder if you order bolt number 23 do you get a short bolt now to match the modified distance tube?

Is this one of those places where the tube rusts to the bolt making removal difficult?

Scott

G

Usually if you have a rusted car or live in an area where salt is used the bolt is rusted into the tube and is impossible to remove without cutting the bolt.The new design is far superior and easier to install.Small adjustments are able to be made if the mounting holes on the frame are enlarged.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HerronScott said:
So I wonder if you order bolt number 23 do you get a short bolt now to match the modified distance tube?

Is this one of those places where the tube rusts to the bolt making removal difficult?

Scott

Well from Moss I got the long bolt and the new-style distance tube ... not a very useful combination :smile: Cheers, Mike

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
If you use the new improved design and you find that the top of the bumperette is out too far from the rear valance body-work, you will have to take a hacksaw and shorten the top end which may also involve drilling and tapping the threads deeper. The original two-piece design lets you shorten the tube and this won't show if that cut end is hidden below. Also if you want to add flat washers to the internal long bolt of the original design, this will tilt the top of the bumperette out further from the body-work if needed.

Attachments

• 27452.jpg
    27452.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 210
OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good Point Don. Thanks.

Dave

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="color: #003300">I restored my 3A (post 60K) 22 years ago.. My notes show Moss listed the distance tube as NA on their price list. (They didn't put prices in the catalogs, they published a separate
list for prices in those days) I had a friend that owned a machine shop. He owed me a favor so I gave him the diameter & length of the distance tube and asked him to make me (two) one piece parts out of 303 stainless with threaded shoulders extending 3/4" on either end. He also made up some SS flat washers the same diameter as the distance tube to make any adjustments. I used SS nylocks on both ends. Not that my TR has been exposed to any inclement weather but those tubes are a shiny as the day I installed them. I can't say that for a lot of ferrous metal parts that are elsewhere on the car. Not TRA correct, but since my car is painted Helms Bread Truck Yellow with Jaguar Sherwood Green trim.....
</span> </span>