• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Putting a Tr4 top on a Tr6

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
I have found a tr4 top that looks like it would be a good top for me, but i want to know if anyone has ever put a tr4 top on a tr6 frame, it has never been used yet, so the snaps i will be putting in place. But im still not sure if the top will be able to fit on a tr6 convertible frame. Can anyone help me out, or give me someone to contact who might know of any major differences between the tops?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I agree, the front of the TR4 top won't work well for you - its designed to slide under the finishing cap on the windshield frame. For that matter, I think the rear attachment will be tough too.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
In addition to the issues mentioned... the TR6 top will likely have a zip-out rear window, a huge plus in my opinion.

There are few sources for a TR4 top with a zip-out, I was fortunate enough to fine one. An open rear window is great for all-day summer drives.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Although I haven't directly compared, if it's a TR4A top, I would expect the biggest difference to be on the sides around the roll-up window. The TR4A depended on the soft-top material to act as the seal for wind/water at the top and back edge. I think one of the improvements with the TR6 top was to have rubber seals along the top of the side window so I would guess that the TR4A top might be longer in that area and perhaps interfere with the window to rubber seals. I think the TR6 top also used a more padded flap to get a better seal ad the back edge of the side window as well.

Scott

OP
B

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
Fortunately i didnt buy the top yet, and after calling the roadster factory today, hearing from all of you on this forum and reading up on the subject a little, i have decided not to buy it. I am still looking for a half decent top that will fit my tr6, does anyone know of one i can buy, short of buying a brand new one? Unfortunately for me the current top has had mice chew right through the back window zipper!Also looking for some decent rugs, tires and a flatbar luggage rack.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
britishcarkid said:
I have found a tr4 top that looks like it would be a good top for me, but i want to know if anyone has ever put a tr4 top on a tr6 frame, it has never been used yet, so the snaps i will be putting in place. But im still not sure if the top will be able to fit on a tr6 convertible frame. Can anyone help me out, or give me someone to contact who might know of any major differences between the tops?

Sure! It's called a TR250. :yesnod:

OP
B

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
Just found out that the top is from a tr4a, is this a top that would fit on with a little efort? Andrew and Herron, do you if there are any differences between the tops besides being a little loose around the window, (i noticed that a bunch of tr6's have that issue).

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All good advise, but missing a big issue, if you the top has the header rail attached, you will need to change your windshield frame, the clasp on the TR 4A completely different from the TR6.
Now, if you are going to take the TR4A header rail off, I hope it's not been glued on, it might be hard to get the wrinkles out from pulling it loose.
As an after thought, the TR4A frames are readily available, I have one with the clips and all requirement, but not why I jumped in here.

Wayne

OP
B

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
thanks wayne, the top sounds like the guy bought it, and left it alone, because no snaps are installed, because it was never put on the car. I have no trouble getting a frame because i have 2 for the car, so i geuss i can use one for parts, or sell it.....But im assuming that the top skin would fit on the frame if it has never been touched before??

HerronScott

Darth Vader
britishcarkid said:
Just found out that the top is from a tr4a, is this a top that would fit on with a little efort? Andrew and Herron, do you if there are any differences between the tops besides being a little loose around the window, (i noticed that a bunch of tr6's have that issue).

Sorry never tried it or known anyone to try it so not sure if it would work or what the problems might be. I'd be more worried not about it being loose around the top of the window but perhaps interference at the top of the window due to the different design.

Will they let you lay the TR4A top over your current top to check out the differences?

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
trrdster2000 said:
All good advise, but missing a big issue, if you the top has the header rail attached, you will need to change your windshield frame, the clasp on the TR 4A completely different from the TR6.
Now, if you are going to take the TR4A header rail off, I hope it's not been glued on, it might be hard to get the wrinkles out from pulling it loose.
As an after thought, the TR4A frames are readily available, I have one with the clips and all requirement, but not why I jumped in here.

Wayne

Wayne,

As far as I recall the header rail in both the TR4A and TR6 are part of the frames and do not come off (at least not normally!).

Scott

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Scott, you are right on, I was thinking he was getting it off another car and it was all together.

Wayne

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Who made the top? Did it come from Moss, Vicky or TRF? Would it be possible to exchange it since it is new? Just a thought.

Next thought...you could sell it to a TR4A owner who needs a new top and use the cash toward a proper TR6 top.

Another though... a TR7 owner in our club got a new window sewn into his top, could you perhaps get your TR6 top repaired?

The TR4A top can be installed on the TR6 frame. Front and rear will fit fine, but the windows are cut differently. I suppose it could be adapted. You give up the zip out window and reflective strips.

Dan B
S. Charleston, WV

OP
B

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
thanks everyone, but i decided to bid up to 130 bucks and i didnt go any higher, because there was that possibility that it didnt fit, antoher guy bought it for that, and i never heard any more. Still looking for a top!