• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Send Unit Issues - 62 TR4

scottkilpatrick

Freshman Member
Country flag
My tank has at least a 1/4 tank of gas. Just yesterday for the first time I was driving and noticed the guage on E. I checked the tank level with a yard stick and jigged the float thing and now it reads 1/4 tank - so it might be going out? Something loose somewhere? Is it the guage cable? I cannot find any images on the web that show what the send unit looks like mounted in the gas tank. This car was upgraded to an electric pump mounted in the trunk.

Opinions on what I should try? Should I check one of the wires shown in the pics (fuel pump)? Should I check the cable coming from the gauge?? Stablizer - not sure where that is at - I'm not sure what to check but hoping I don't have to pull the tank out and pay for that. What safety precautions should I take. Thanks all

IMG_5410b.jpg
IMG_5408b.jpg
IMG_5406b.jpg

Last edited:

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wires at the fuel pump should have nothing to do with this. First check the wires between the voltage stabilizer (VS) and the gauge. The VS is located in the passenger footwell. On the very front upper right corner. PITA to get to but there it is . The wire then goes to the gauge and could be loose. Could also be a bad ground wire at the sending unit which is on the passenger side accessed from the trunk.
Think simple first.
Charley

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The "sending" unit is a grounding rheostat that takes the 9V from the gr/bl, wire (on the gage)and makes the
gage move. The voltage stabilizer does go bad"green wire).If you purchase an AM unit , make sure you verify the
voltage!!!!
Mad dog

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you bumped the sender and it changed, that's a pretty good indication that the sender is the problem. I'd also check the connection of the wire to the top of the sender; make sure it is clean and tight. If that's good, it's worth the trouble to remove the sender and check it. You probably can do that with the tank in place, but I've never tried that. Check the sender with an ohmmeter--you should see the resistance vary smoothly as you move the wand up and down. I'll bet that you see a number of jumps. Then either service or replace the sender.

senderr.jpg

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you determine it is the voltage stabilizer (your coolant gauge would act up also) don't buy the Moss Motor unit. I ordered one about 5 months ago and then read shortly after on the forum that many were having failures quickly after installation. Mine just went out so I will source from someplace else. Not trying to bash Moss but if they read the forums they would know their unit is junk. Bruce