• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need Clutch Help

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hey guys, I got up early this morning to go get my daughter in the Midget (78 1500) and warmed her up. Came back out to leave 5 minutes later and when I pushed in the clutch there was no pedal. I didnt have a chance to check anything yet till I find a sitter but yesterday when I drove it I had no trouble. I did replace the rear brake hose with a new and rebled the rear brakes and reclamped up my exhaust a few days ago but I think the brake system has nothing to do with the clutch? Im pretty sure I have all fittings and bleeders tight when I did the job. I remember topping off the clutch reservoir with fluid while topping off the brake reservoir. Im wondering if my slave went bad (over night something gave out) or what may have happened. Any suggestions where to start?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You are right, brake as nothing to do with clutch - except same fluid.

1. Check obvious and easiest - link between clutch pedal and master cylinder (in pedal box)

2. look for fluid - around the master or around the slave cylinder or along the hose. (BTW it's brake fluid so it will eat your paint)

3. assuming it is the master of the slave buy a rebuild kit first they are much cheaper than replacing and work most of the time.

If it does require a rebuild - get back to us, it's not hard

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
OK, I had a chance to get out there and see what was what. The clutch reservoir was empty yet the brake reservoir was full which tells me the clutch is the issue. I looked under the car and I could see fluid that leaked out onto the ground. It looks like the master is fine as I cannot see any fluid around it that has leaked so my next guess is it is the slave. Im going to order the rebuild parts probably for both and then get into it when I get them.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
check the hose too - at the very least replace it at the same time

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Not sure about a 1500 slave but many of them you can rebuild from below without taking it off the car. I'd recommend putting a speed bleeder on the slave to help with bleeding out as that can be a pain.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I looked at it and its the slave cylinder. im going to get a rebuild kit for it and the hose. The master is fine so now I'll have my experience trying to get to this thing and get it bled after the rebuild. It sounds like the bleeding can be a real pain. I recall reading something about trying to remove the slave and placing at a higher point then the master and bleeding is easier yet I dont see how I can fish the entire cylinder or master back up / down to their mounting locations.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It would be a little easier to bleed if the master was being replaced; the hose makes an arch that leaves it higher than the master, so there will be an air pocket trapped in the hose. Bleeding it the old fashioned way you'll never get the air out the first time. The other way is to bleed it as best you can either by doing it with two people, a pressure bleeder, or a vacuum bleeder. Then, stomp HARD on the pedal and release quickly several times to either burp the air pocket out through the master or push it down to the slave cylinder. Then bleed once more (it will be quicker this time), and you're done.

I mentioned it once before, but I'll say it again; my personal experience is the dust boot on the slave traps some air and makes a tight seal with the pushrod, so after you work the clutch a few times it might burp that air pocket under the dust boot back into the slave. I had thought I could unbolt the slave to inspect something, and slip it back in with no trouble. After a couple of shifts I found out I had to bleed again when I started crashing gears and realized it was very hard to get into first gear.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
John Twist of University Motors actually has a sequence he recommends for bleeding slave cylinders. I'll try to remember to look it up and post if I already haven't. Something like 8 pumps, hold, bleed, repeat. I don't know, but similar to what Dave is saying, trying to work the bubble out.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
jvandyke said:
Not sure about a 1500 slave but many of them you can rebuild from below without taking it off the car. I'd recommend putting a speed bleeder on the slave to help with bleeding out as that can be a pain.

I took this advice and the speed bleeder is a MUST, cheap upgrade that will save you tons of time and aggravation.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I have a new line and rebuild kit for the slave coming and should be here on Thursday so I can get this thing back on the road. I think I may unbolt the master even though it is fine just to get it up higher then the arch in the hose as I understand how that air bubble can get trapped in the arch of the hose. Im a bit concerned with getting to the cylinder as I have yet to mess with this since owning the car. If I can get it off easy I will probably just rebuild it on the bench. Is it possible to pre-fill this with fluid upon reinstalling or does it not matter.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I did mine by removing the master cylinder - not as hard as it looks - as I recall, I used a 1/4 socket on the 3/8 adapter with an extension and it was thin enough to get at the "behind" bolt. put everything together - put the slave in after you have "burped it" I did this by simply pivoting it on the hose till the air came out. (the problem with bleeding by pushing the pedal with the slave uninstalled is that you will blow out the end - don't ask me how I know) fill the master, hold it above the hose, rock it back and forth to burp out the bubbles - push the rod in a few times to make sure and it's done. takes minutes. reinstall the master and you are good to go.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Ok, let's back up a minute--fluid leaked out, clear enough, but from where? Until you find the leak, you don't know that a rebuild is even necessary. Might be something entirely different.

I'd suggest getting under the car and looking it over, finding the leak, and going from there. Make sure you are fixing what's really broken!

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hi Steve, I agree I should have climbed under there and got a look at whats what. After I saw the master looking good I guess I just asumed it has to be the slave cylinder as there is nothing else in that circuit that could release the fluid. From some of the responses I went ahead and ordered a new hose with the rebuild so it will be all replaced as I noticed the master has been done by the PO. Parts should be here tomorrow so hopefully by the evening it will be done and on the road. I do have a feeling the slave rubber is old and worn as I know the PO never even knew anything about it.