• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

moving a car cross-country - by furniture movers?

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Hi

I need to get a rolling but not running "car"
OK....pile of rust moved from Ohio to california,

Someone mentioned they got a good price having a furniture company move it ....

has anyone done this ?

any ideas how to find these "furniture movers" ?

thanks for your help

beaulieu

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Once when we were moving cross country I had the same situation..furniture company loaded my stuff & then loaded the car behind furniture...had to take the car to a loading dock though (on both ends).

Friend just moved across country last week & had his car moved by the moving firm....they didn't put it in with his furniture but sent another truck instead.

Just call one of the big, national firms & ask them.

Steve_S

Yoda
I've looked into hauling a car myself, but it's usually less money to pay a service. You have to take into account time off work / lost wages, motel, food, gas, truck / trailer rental, etc.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Re: moving a car cross-country - by furniture mov

Steve_S said:
I've looked into hauling a car myself, but it's usually less money to pay a service. You have to take into account time off work / lost wages, motel, food, gas, truck / trailer rental, etc.

I agree , I really do not have the time for a road trip, and if i have to pay for gas both ways it does not work out money wise, plus all the time involved,

Beaulieu

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior

When I moved from CA to NC, I shipped my B' along with my furniture. Luckily, the base I was stationed on had a ramp that I could get the car up into the furniture truck. On the other end it was a bit tricky, but we got it out okay. The only additional cost for the shipping was based on the weight of the car. The nice thing is that it arrives safe and sound.

There are also companies that move cars only. I see them all the time here in Fl, bring the snowbirds down, and then back to wherever they heck they come from. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Jlaph1

Freshman Member

I used to drvie a tow truck and remember removing 2 cars from the back of semi trailers. might cost you and additional $50.00 to call a flat bed truck out to load/unload the car. But it has been done.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

Hi

thanks for the flatbed tow truck idea ,

that might help

Beaulieu

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Last year I moved my car as part of a load of furniture when we moved here. I do recall that the movers were able to do this because it technically wasn't a car anymore since the engine was out. I'm sure they will be able to tell you that though.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

sounds like you've received plenty of suggestions so it's all in what you want to spend and effort. I have used the broker carrier firms such as DAS to ship several non-runners with success...but it's not cheap...I've paid from $500 up to $1200 depending on total distance and whether it's door-to-door or just between trucking terminals . GOOD LUCK

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

Yeah there must be a way to send it as "scrap metal"

I just see a lot of empty trailers out on the interstate......

Beaulieu

Jlaph1

Freshman Member

Check your local craigslist for empty trailers from point a to b.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag

in my own case, I flew to San Francisco one morning from Nashville, TN, I got in the car at 7:00pm and drove it 2,916 miles to my house in Nashville. 4½ days. A great adventure through the American West, got lost in the California desert (Sonora Desert I think), at 2:00 am running out of gasoline on the first night! Then I see lights at a distance in the darkness of that scary desert, where I baby the car at 10mph or in neutral until I reach the town where there is a 24-hour AutoZone and gas station!! Only in America.

Overall I spent under $300. in gas, food, and 1 night lodging in New Mexico plus the $155.00 airplane ticket. Yes, the car got me home without any breakdowns except a flat tire in Texas.

If your car does not drive, then get in a Greyhound bus to get to the car's location, then rent the cheapest 1-way rig you can get to bring it home yourself. It has to be cheaper if you DIY.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

Exotexs...that to me would be the ultimate way to pickup a car...almost did it once..was going to take my son with me..drive to the state it was located..then I would drive the classic back and son would drive the SUV. <u>Thought it would be the trip that we would always remember</u>...then decided since I knew nothing about the car I was buying first hand, <u>it might become the nightmare we'd never forget</u>...

I had it shipped...good decision in this case...the car had a horrific overheating problem due to a blown head gasket..it was my Jag E-type.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

Hi all...

my friend is now doing a Montana to Los Angeles road trip on a untested Harley that a friend bought,

he volenteered to fly up there and drive it down,

My pile does not run, and its not worth it to fly to Ohio and get a rental truck to drive back, the cost is as much as shipping plus 4-5 days on the road.

I am just trying to find the cheapest way to get it here so I can start working on it.

anyway thanks for your thoughts ,

and if you have any other ideas please let me know

Beaulieu

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

i used to buy and sell stuff and haul it with my regular freight on my 48' flatbed.

Thankfully I now have a day job but I miss the opportunity of buying stuff and hauling it home on the cheap.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Bibber, all engines will break at some point, I guess I was lucky, that 1965 3.8 liter ran like the devil from San Francisco to Nashville. What I didn't say was that I shipped my tools by UPS a week before, including a spare belt, oil filter, and radiator hoses. On the way to I-40 through Pacific Coast Highway, I stopped at every town looking for an autoparts store to buy oil and 2 gallons of coolant just in case. I only used 1 quart of oil in the whole 4½ days of almost non-stop driving. And half a gallon of coolant because there was a pin hole leak at the radiator which apparently only leaked at 100 mph.

Then I drove the car to Central Florida and back to Nashville, another 800 miles each way. And Then it threw a rod bearing one day for no apparent reason! Plenty fresh oil and pressure, but still ouucchh!

The seller warned me it was an old engine. I didn't listen.

2,916 miles plus another 1,600 miles equaled a lot of fun.

I hope you fixed your E-type.

Ex