• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MG TD Fog Lamp Question

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, I'm going through all the boxes of pieces/parts that came with my '53 TD getting ready to take things to body shop for reassembly, &........

I found a new OE Lucas "Fogranger" lamp...its 6" in diameter & has 4 bolts on a brass bracket on the rear that allows it to be aligned...they appear to be what holds it to somewhere on the body...anybody got any ideas how/where it mounts? It won't go on the badge/accessory bar where most of the lights went.

Steve_S

Yoda
The Fog Ranger lamps came in various mounting styles including bottom mount and free / swivel mount. I can't picture the one you have. It certainly wasn't factory equipment.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
True, Steve, it wasn't factory - it was one of those dealer items...guess I've gotta get a photo up tomorrow.

Man, I've found new Lucas fender mirrors, left side windshield mount mirror, & the center mirror on the dash, new round taillight assemblies and new front fender mount light assemblies with the little "king of the Road" red plastic emblem!! And still have boxes to go through.....

The PO had bought all of them way back when & never took them out of their original boxes!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
GOR!!!

You've a gold mine there! <green jealousy smilie>

Niiice, Tony.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony has so much stuff it would take a full team weeks to do a wall to wall inventory.

Hmmm, good idea. I think we should all go to Tonys and do a wall to wall. No telling what we would find that we could use.

Hay Tony, any progress on the TD, pics in order?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Hay Tony, any progress on the TD, pics in order?[/QUOTE]

Body panels are all in final primer except for driver front fender (the only panel that had ever suffered accident damage)...next week they're redoing the frame & stripping the tub...no photos yet.

Tomorrow I take them the bumper bracketry so they can do it with the frame.

Steve_S

Yoda
Hey Tony, any NOS parts you don't need would look great on my TC. Any more of those fender lamps? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Got the old ones....hehehehehe

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I was wrong...while the light is old stock, its not new...after taking it out of its box, I can see where its been on the car before (oh, the box says "JH211") though when I clean it up, it'll be like new....

The first 2 photos are of the light itself, the 3rd photo is of the rear of the light with the backing/mounting plate in place & the 4th is of the opposite side of the backing plate - the rubber side.

Anybody ever seen one like this before? Or know how it would mount on a TD?

Attachments

• 4290-spotlight01.JPG
    4290-spotlight01.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 4291-spotlight02.JPG
    4291-spotlight02.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 332
  • 4292-spotlight03.JPG
    4292-spotlight03.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 4293-spotlight04.JPG
    4293-spotlight04.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 347

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Tony, I'm stuck at work still but will check for ya when I get back home. I know there is a bar that goes across the fender for these lights as well as another type that mounts to the bumper support. I will snap photos later.
Vince

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Vince - thanks...I thought the same but this one doesn't fit the badge bar the way its designed...maybe its the one that goes on the bumper support...I've still got a few odd brackets in boxes.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here are the pics. The first is of the bracket that was on the car since day one. PO did not like it when she got the car in '56 so she removed the light. I on the other hand feel there should be at least one.

The second is of the bar that spreads across the fenders.

The third is of one of two lights purchased on eBay for a steel. This looks like it needs to have a hole drilled through the bar in order to work and then clamped on at the bottom with the small curved bracket & chrome nut.

02-01-07LucasFogLights005.jpg

02-01-07LucasFogLights002.jpg

02-01-07LucasFogLights001.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Scratch that! Third, second, first!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks - however, that light is a different model thn mine...if you look at the body, you'll see there's no provision on mine for the bottom post....& the badge bar on a TD has holes/brackets for the type light you have..my light won't work with the badge bar/bumper combination.

Here are photos for comparison:

Attachments

• 4303-spotlight01.JPG
    4303-spotlight01.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 4304-spotlight02.JPG
    4304-spotlight02.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 391

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
At the back of my mind(way back!) I seem to remember lamps like that on a Jaguar.Mounted into recesses on the car alongside the radiator grille.A la Inspector Morse,mkii 3.8.They certainly won't fit on bars of any kind.

Stuart.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Vince - OT of the light, yours is the first car I have seen with a badge bar that matches the one on my TD. I always thought that what I had was a converted, chrome towel rack from the art deco era. Seeing the one on your car, makes me think that maybe it was purpose designed.
Cheers,

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That is neat to know. To my knowledge it is original to the car. Maybe it was a period after market piece that the original owners of our cars purchased & installed. The bar was not used for a light. In fact it does not look like it was used for anything at all. My light was mounted to that strange looking bracket with a hole in it.

Oddly enough, I have a manly built in stainless steel BBQ on the patio. The handle is identical to the TD badge bar.

I'm going to wind up drilling into the bar and will try to sneak the wiring in the tube to conceal it.