• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Fog/driving lamps on a 4 or 250?

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all. In reviewing the prior post on fog/driving lamps, I'd love to see soem photos of fog or driving lamps installed on a 4 or a 250. Any good thoughts on where to put them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It sort of depends if you are doing fog or driving. Fogs should be mounted low, pref below the bumper & Driving above. I have a nice orig new/old pair of Cibie 35's (chrome I am looking to sell) as they are rectangular & I like the look of the round lights on these cars.
Let me know if you are interested.

Here's a good link to lighting.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Triumph20TR62003.jpg

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

It can be a bit difficult with stock TR4-250, due to the bumper design and overriders.

I had a set of Hellas (500s?) that were mounted using one of the existing bumper bolts. This positioned them a bit further forward than I liked, but there was no interference with the hood. The bumpers were installed *without* the overriders, making this sort of mounting possible. This wouldn't work with less adjustable mountings than the Hellas, like those vertical stems on the period Lucas lights, originals and repros.

I haven't done so, but imagine it would be possible to fabricate a pair of brackets that share the centermost bumper mounting bolts and provide light mounting platforms peeking out from under the bumper.

Running the rally cars without any bumper at all, the factory made up a light bar from approx. 1" tubing that bolts up where the bumper originally fitted. If you search for "TR4 Rallye" or "Triumph Rallye" (and substitute "Rally" too) on the Internet, you can probably find some pics. Revington TR sells a polished stainless steel version they copied from the two factory rally cars they own (www.revingtontr.com, original light bars were mild steel tubing painted to match the car).

Usually the cars have two lights mounted on this bar, either the 6" or 7" Lucas SFT/SLR models. However, I've seen as many as four lights on the bar itself.

One of the TR4 rally cars had an SLR576 mounted on the point of the hood. (I seem to recall Revington TR also offers this bracket.) A bit odd looking, IMHO, but certainly distinctive!

I think all the factory rally TR4s had the rear-mounted WFT576 on the trunk, as a backup light.

In the U.S., the Sebring 12 Hour cars had a simple angle iron bracket made up, that also bolted where the bumper used to, perhaps better accomodating the larger lights they used. Judging from pics and scraps of angle I've got on hand, it must be about 2.5"x2.5" angle, or larger. The U.S. factory sponsored cars didn't have the reversing light, since it was unnecessary for racing other than rally.

(By the way, credit Kas Kastner for first installing the American Racing wheels on TR4, prepping them for the Canadian Shell 4000 Rallye. These replaced wire wheels, of all things. There was actually tech concern the mags wouldn't be strong enough! Today's Minilite and similar are close copies of those original American Racing wheels.)

Finally, also for bumperless cars, I've also seen rear-mount Lucas SLR/SFT mounted right against the lower valance using the bolt holes normally used for the bumper. This does position long range lamps a little low, but is a pretty good location for fogs.

On any car, try to install in a way that won't block the air intake to the radiator. On TR4-250 you also have to watch that the hood can open without a problem, and that the headlights themselves aren't blocked.

I am considering Frenching in a set of 4 or 5" fog lights right into the outer corners of the front valance of my bumperless TR4. In addition, I have a pair of original SLR700s that will be mounted on a bar. The bar is still in the design & fabricate stages. I didn't like my first effort, so trashed it and am thinking about alternatives.

Note, on many of the rally cars the SLR/SFT lights were actually painted matte black on the backs, to prevent reflections from the chrome. All the repros and most of the originals you see will be completely chromed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Revington TR also sells a works rally-inspired stainless bar that mounts on the car without the removal of the bumper and does not interfere with the hood. It's on my wish list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There was a 4A at the car show last weekend that had Lucas 5"ers mounted straight to the bumper. Maybe that is why he did not have his hood up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif