• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New old style fog lights

Bret

Yoda
Ok, I’m a little bored today &'ve been working in the garage for most of the day, waiting around for the &^*#~!G Pool guy (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) to get his rearend in gear & finish the pool set-up so we can swim this weekend. So I decided to go through the parts shelves & knock out some old projects for the B.

One project was to get rid of those modern looking “plastic” fog lights for something that looks a little more period. While some might say Rubber Bumper Bs look better with the rectangular fog lights I’ve always liked the round ones. And after I installed those Tripod headlamps the plastic ones looked way out of place.

So I found a set of Amber 4” round fog lamps. I’ve seen these on VWs, Minis & Porsches and finally found a set on Ebay for about $60.

newfoglights.jpg

This second photo shows the old plastic fog lights next to the new ones. Think I paid something like $20 for them.

oldnew.jpg

So what do ya think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
looks good. Much better than those little ricer jobs.

for some reason all this time from your signature I thought your car was Navy Blue.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now I look at it and can't see anything but green.

funny how my brain doesn't work....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm "conflicted"... I like the traditional looking ones, but with the RB car the smaller ones seem to "fit" a bit better. The real "test" should be the way they work at night, tho. I think I'd keep the "new, old" bigger ones.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Yeah Doc, I plan on getting them aligned tonight. But I did test them the other night and seem to have a more pleasant “glow” to them. As for capability – they seem to have about the same output as the more modern ones I’m replacing. But again we’ll see tonight.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
The rectangular ones may look more "period" with the period being the late '70s and into the '80s, but let's face it. that era is best fondly remembered and not relived. Few people I know would say they would look "better".

I like what you have done.

I like the big fogs too. Very nice.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a set of Lucas "Square Eights" in reserve for the +2's resurrection, and plan for Lucas "Flamethrowers" on the MGB... Time and money are the Final Arbiters.

M

mark75b

I to like the new fog lights makes it look ready for business.
O! look after a year I have a avatar.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think I'd like the big ones better if they were driving lights instead of fog...yellow kinda gives it a French look...

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like the big ones better if they were driving lights instead of fog...yellow kinda gives it a French look...

[/ QUOTE ]
French! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Me?

But don't ya think the BRG paint more'n makes up for the yellow lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Besides here in the East County the fog can get pretty thick in the AM and I've always thought the yellow is more visible at longer range to oncoming traffic.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Maybe its the contrast - or lack of - between them & the amber lights in the bumper.

Kenny, can you photo shoot them in white for a comparison?

Here ya go... fogs into driving lights...
221586-1newfoglights.jpg

Attachments

• 221586-1newfoglights.jpg
    221586-1newfoglights.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 50

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now I don't know...but I do like their placement...looks like they belong there either way.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Kenny should PS the yellow ones on his B.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Both look nice and works well with the Special Tuning front spoiler. But at 4" dia - Not sure how they'd look with a normal valance or the shorter LE spoiler.

Either way I think I still like the yellow ones (kind’a late to change now anyway). Regardless they are a huge improvement over the black plastic ones I removed.

Hmmm... I don't think they work too well with the factory valence... Look great on the ST one though!
221671-yellowfogcopy.jpg

Attachments

• 221671-yellowfogcopy.jpg
    221671-yellowfogcopy.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 42

em754

I like the new lights Bret, much better!
That car looks awfully shiny, puts mine to shame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Thanks Eric, my B takes a much better picture than she really is in person. Some oxidation & a couple nasty scratches. But it’s still amazing what lots of elbow grease can do even with a tired old paint job like mine.

Right now a re-blow of the paint is on the short list of “major” things to do and should take place at some point soon after the engine & trans swap.