• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lucky To Have A Spridget

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm finally getting really decent gas mileage tweaking Midgie after the Dillard trip. We're still in a gas supply shortage here North of Atlanta. Most stations have dried up, and if they have gas there's 50-100 cars waiting in line.

A station about 5 miles away from us received gas early this morning. My wife called to let me know. Now, I could've taken my Wrangler and filled it's 19 gallon tank. Instead I took Midgie, topped her off with 3 gallons. It's a good excuse to drive her around over the next week or so until things kinda settle down.

Another station up the road is rationing 4 gallons of 87 octane for $16. They'll probably run out by 5PM today.

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yep, we're in gas shortages here in the Metro Atlanta area. Hurricane is partly to blame. EPA requires us to have what's considered a "boutique fuel" to help cut pollution. They just lifted the restriction in an attempt to get more fuel flowing to the area.

The biggest problem is greed, panic, and the media exploiting it all. Gas stations are "soft rationing" wanting customers to only pump $30-50, but the customers are ignoring it. You'll see hordes of SUVs and trucks fill up to the max, and then have a number of gas cans with them. Yesterday was the first station to only allow $16 pumped, and you had to go inside to prepay. Looks like the station pumps and equipment could restrict the amount either gallon wise or dollar amount.

It's times like this though that I realize that if companies here in Georgia would change their stance on telecommuting we wouldn't have near the problems we do. The State has been on a campaign for people to telecommute, but companies here won't allow it. There's enough big brother systems and reports to see if an employee is working or not.

Sorry guys. Way off Spridget topic. I'll get off my soap box now.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
Just to continue this a little more, I work for IBM, and I work from home. We have a big presence in Atlanta and while they are all allowed to work from home, they did say most other people are not afforded that luxury. (I am in CT)

There needs be a huge amount of trust between the employee and employer for this to be successful.

Many people also think that if you are able to work from home, you won't work as hard. I think that's the opposite. Since working from home I'm putting in 55 hours a week, versus 45 previously. Being home it's too easy to walk by the computer and check e-mail at all hours of the night, and getting sucked into a 30 minute reply to an e-mail from someone in Japan.

My office used to be 51 miles away, and I get about 25 MPG in my BMW, so I was spending about $20 on gas, or $100/week, $400/month in gas alone. Add on top of that the cost of coffee and food and I just got myself a $700 a month raise, for staying at home !! Also, IBM allows me to expense more items a month for my home office. IBM wins as they get more hours out of me and not having to pay for an office, and I win with all the money I'm saving.

Corporations should really give serious consideration to telecommuting.

OK, someone kick the soap box from under me . . .

ohh, a BIG positive of working from home is that I now get to take the Midget out every day for a 10 trip to Dunkin Donuts !!! The car gets driven regularly, but I'm not putting many miles on her, a win win again !!!