• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Modifications

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I’ve been a member here for about 10 years. I used to post more frequently when I was building/troubleshooting my Bugeye. Now that it is done-ish and works, I find myself visiting less frequently. In general it seems that less builds are going on now and it’s pretty quiet here. I thought I’d make a post about the modifications I’ve made to encourage conversation and sharing.

(I know the purists that are just into restoration will not appreciate this and the intent is not to argue about what should or shouldn’t be done.)

I'm happy to post more details on anything below if folks are interested

My Mods:
  • DIY front tilt
  • DIY tube shocks
  • Plasti-dip paint job
  • Electric tach conversion in original bugeye tach body
  • Alternator conversion
  • DIY wiring harness
  • DIY carpet interior
  • DIY Seat bottoms
  • Heater delete
  • Electric fuel pump (not SU)
  • Roadster conversion (all hardware for attaching the top is gone)
Things I still want to do:
  • 1275 Engine
  • 5-speed
  • Other engine (modern EFI 4-cyclinder or mazda rotory, Small V8)
  • Disc brakes
  • Sway-bar

Last edited:

BillyBud

Country flag
I snapped several axle shafts with a well tuned 1275, so make sure you have the later axle shafts to handle the power.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
quite a list! of course without pics it didn't happen. :D

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree with you, not being a purist myself, If a vehicle can be saved in any way shape or form and made better than the original due to modern tech. then why not, there are far too many of the older vehicles dissapearing from our roads due to a lack of original parts,
Make do and mend, modify as nessesary

Country flag
And there are way too many projects languishing in garages because people feel the need to make them perfect. My motto is make them roadworthy safe and get out there and enjoy them.

I need to update my avatar because I've painted my bugeye and I have a MkII sprite project now as well.
It is actually a combo of a mkIII midget and a mkII sprite. It has a 1275, later style brakes (including pedal boxes), a 3.55 rear gear, and a custom wiring harness with some Hella driving lights. Full LED lights elsewhere. ...oh, and gas boot and bonnet props.

I hope to swap a 5-speed into it (like I have in my other two spridgets) and I want to switch to modern gauges.

My bugeye mods are too many to list, and my 1970 Midget is pretty stock other than a few engine tweaks, a 5-speed and round wheel arches.

Pat MM

Country flag
It would be great to see your mods… any and all!

I’ve been thinking about an electric tach conversion in the original Bugeye shell/face.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have a look at these two threads for thoughts/discussions: Tasteful Upgrades for a Bugeye, and Tasteful Upgrades for a Bugeye Part II
I guess I define 'tasteful' as upgrades that are reversible, or don't impact the body. An 18 year old blonde with a boob job might be an 'upgrade', but I think I'll stick with my existing all OEM partner - and I figure she's an upgrade. And I think I forgot about the axle changes when putting the two referenced threads together. If you've got suggestions for stuff I've missed, please add to the threads, and (perhaps!) they'll provide a bit more guidance/thoughts. Doug

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
65 BRG Sprite - if you're asking me, we haven't raised the front edges on the Bugeye yet. For our BJ7 A-H 3000, we put hard wood 'wedges' full length under the seat rails to lift the front edge (memory: the car is stored away in a Car Capsule, that is slowly collapsing under the falling snow) about half an inch, and it made a difference to comfort. We've got the wedges/shims also cut for the BE but haven't installed them. Hopefully we'll get one of the other multi-year projects wrapped up in the next couple of months and be able to get back to the BugEye.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
With my 5 speed conversion (Datsun) I thought the 3.9 differential made a HUGE difference.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
a nice thing about the Datsun (or Ford tranny) is that you can easily downshift into first, so have a low ratio diff so you can pull away in 2nd gear isn't nearly as important. Doug

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
a nice thing about the Datsun (or Ford tranny) is that you can easily downshift into first, so have a low ratio diff so you can pull away in 2nd gear isn't nearly as important. Doug
I didn't think I'd care about synchro into 1st, but it's nice.