• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lambo's and why I love my Midget

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, was driving down Lakeshore BLvd about 4:45 last night going to pick up my son when I hear a very distinctive engine sound, look in the rearview and there is a light blue Lamborghini on my tail. Man is he impatient. It wasn't exactly heavy traffic but, it wasn't light either and it is most definitely a business street. It also has streetcar tracks so it isn't quite as easy as pulling over into the left lane and passing - at least not with a car that low. Anyway, as we drive, he keeps hanging back, mashing the pedal, jumping 15 feet and slowing down again. Finally he does go left onto the track, drives three car lengths and cuts in again. Final shot was him jackrabbiting through traffic trying to get where he is going.

Here is what I realized.

1. Lambo or not, I have no need or desire to be frustrated in a car that has 10 times the power the conditions could ever warrant.

2. I love having a car that when I thrash it means I just get to the speed limit 1/2 a second quicker. And, full on never means a ticket. and, most of all

3. people think you are a complete jerk when you zip through traffic in a Lambo, they don't feel that way if you zip along in a Midget.

Just sayin'

RickB

Yoda
Like when I was out working on my Sprite's interior in the sunshine out at the curb and the guy pulls up in a 500hp Corvette, (top up) rolls the electric window on my side down and asks: "How much power you got in that?"
I answer: "oh about 40"

Funny thing was I was the one who looked happy about the whole exchange. :laugh:

Country flag
RickB said:
Like when I was out working on my Sprite's interior in the sunshine out at the curb and the guy pulls up in a 500hp Corvette, (top up) rolls the electric window on my side down and asks: "How much power you got in that?"
I answer: "oh about 40"

Funny thing was I was the one who looked happy about the whole exchange. :laugh:

"Enough to get me where I need to go without a 2nd mortgage!"
grin.gif

RickB

Yoda
Yeah - it's hard to believe that some people owe more on their car than I do on my house.

I feel misplaced in time and space some days, the reality in which many around me seem to be comfortable is not mine. I'm in this bubble where a guy meets a girl, they get married, buy a home, have kids, raise them, pay off the home, live many decades then eventually retire and tinker on old British cars, go fishing, read and write books and eventually fade away.

Not at all real by the standards of the apparent majority.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
The other week I was bringing Mom to my place and driving along Highway #11. A great road for a Sunday drive. I was behind a fully loaded logging truck putt putting along about 55 down hill and high 40s up hill.
Now I stayed back from the truck ahead. Flying chips and stuff
are nasty even when driving a Land Cruiser.
Up from behind, like some Darth Vader, comes this Black thing.
Curvy road with few passing lanes. Up and back. Fall back and roar to my bumper.
I pulled to the edge and it my brakes. Zoom. He's past.
For the next few miles I got to watch that thing get pelted and the driver go nuts right up behind the logging truck.
Pull out to pass and have to hit the brakes.
I just hung back and admired the view.
The truck turned and the Lambo disappeared up ahead.
It was a nice Lambo. Convertible with a black top. Sounded great when he'd fall back and punch it.
I told my Mom about what that thing cost. Mom is 90.
I could see she couldn't comprehended it for a moment.

Like an old joke. How are Lambos and porcupines different?
A porcupine has pricks on the outside.

dfwip

Rick-
Now wait a second...
Your wife lets you own british cars AND go fishing???
Does she have any sisters???

Paul

(Probably a bad comment, since today is my anniversary).

RickB

Yoda
:laugh:

She likes to drive the British cars, hasn't been converted to doing any work on them and doesn't like fish. We are definitely different enough and get along very well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I love seeing cars like a Lamborghini on the road. There is an event called Utah Fast Pass that passes through Park City every year, bringing all sorts of exotic cars. Seeing them on the road is wonderful. I'm glad folks get them out and drive them.

But I wouldn't want to own one.

Of course, my level of finance is much lower than the folks who own them, but I have too much old Yankee blood in me to be able to justify the cost even if I had the money to spare.

Also, I'm more interested in the fun factor than the speed factor. I like that I can drive the Tunebug over my local pass road, pushing as hard as possible, and still not really be going all that fast. It sure feels and sounds like I'm flying though.

My last two motorcycle purchases have been consciously slower bikes than the previous one. Still quick enough to be entertaining, but I'm less likely to loose my license (or life) on them.

Top Gear did a great piece on why you should have a super car that does make for a nice viewing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWA33mGUXM

G

RickB said:
Yeah - it's hard to believe that some people owe more on their car than I do on my house.

I feel misplaced in time and space some days, the reality in which many around me seem to be comfortable is not mine. I'm in this bubble where a guy meets a girl, they get married, buy a home, have kids, raise them, pay off the home, live many decades then eventually retire and tinker on old British cars, go fishing, read and write books and eventually fade away.

Ahh, a world of you own choosing.

X2!!! :cheers:

V

vagt6

RickB said:

I agree. It's nice to be content with your place in the universe, isn't it! :thumbsup:

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
RickB said:
I'm in this bubble where a guy meets a girl, they get married, buy a home, have kids, raise them, pay off the home, live many decades then eventually retire and tinker on old British cars, go fishing, read and write books and eventually fade away.

Tell me about this "pay off the house" and "eventually retire" thing again. I think I might be doing something wrong.

RickB

Yoda
davester said:
RickB said:
I'm in this bubble where a guy meets a girl, they get married, buy a home, have kids, raise them, pay off the home, live many decades then eventually retire and tinker on old British cars, go fishing, read and write books and eventually fade away.

Tell me about this "pay off the house" and "eventually retire" thing again. I think I might be doing something wrong.

Ok - those I admit are "future events" - 'ya gotta believe' is my story and I'm sticking with it. Ideally I can work it out so that the place is paid off at about the same time as the retirement thing - which is either a thing that will or won't happen, but it's nicer thinking it will than it won't.

dfwip

Sure am glad someone else doesn't have the homestead paid.
With seven kids (five) in college, I'm lucky to be able
to eat occasionally...

Paul

RickB

Yoda
dfwip said:
Sure am glad someone else doesn't have the homestead paid.
With seven kids (five) in college, I'm lucky to be able
to eat occasionally...

Paul

Wow Paul - only 6 kids here.
4 still at home, though that should be 3. Hoping my oldest son gets the idea about growing up and getting a job and going out on his own soon...
I'm doing my part, making his life a living heck (meaning I won't buy him whatever he wants).
One daughter moved out and going to college and holding down a job, another daughter married off & out.
So far so good - but lots more to go...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmm, house, cars, etc, paid off and retired. Always thought I was doing something right.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
Lambos, Masasarattis, Bentlys are all over the place around here.
Last month I was driving on a semi-remote stretch of US 1. I was realy getting on it, probably doing 85! I overtook a Ferrari doing 55. As I passed him he looked over, we both laffed. Then he must have taken his foot off the brake and for a moment he was gone. He slowed back to 55 and I left him in the dust!!!

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My wife is a custom,classic and antique car appraiser so whe when Mr.type A comes up with his lambo,mybach or ferrari me and my 4 kids huddle around the triumph and point and laugh.