• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boy do I love it when things work....Becker Europa

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
I posted a thread about 4 months or so ago asking what radio came in my BJ7. One of the popular options was a Becker Europa model radio. Liking the challenge I went to find one for less than $100. I ended up picking one up out of an early Mercedes that a guy was parting out. I got the "it worked when I removed it", which was about 5 years previous. You just never know, but it was worth the risk. I struck a deal for below my target back in April.

Being occupied with a knee surgery and putting the drive train back in has stalled doing these other projects. I hooked power, ground, speaker wires and crossed my fingers.....Bingo! Not a great stereo sound, but that is not what I was after. Having all the buttons, lights and controls work is just great for me.

P1040808.JPG

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I vasilate between a classic radio and a modern "classic look" radio all the time. It is difficult to find a modern radio that will fit in the console of the BJ-8 and look ok.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had a 1961 Mercedes 220S with a Becker Europa. This brings back memories. For the Healey, I'm happy with the music of the straight six through a Monza exhaust.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Tim, me too. When I went to paint it, I asked the painter to weld the antenna hole shut, not knowing it was an aluminum panel. He didn't have the capability to weld aluminum, so I decided to put an antenna in. I'm not going to have an antenna that isn't hooked to everything, so I went with the correct radio for the period.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had the antenna hole in the fender, but I had a Ford car of some type that had an extra rubber plug loose in the car and used it to close the hole.
IMG_2368.jpg

Nonetheless, I really like your radio.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm not going to have an antenna that isn't hooked to everything, so I went with the correct radio for the period.

Well what you did solved that problem.

I would just like to point out that the antenna would also have been compatible with a current modern radio.--Fwiw--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Legal Bill said:
I vasilate between a classic radio and a modern "classic look" radio all the time. It is difficult to find a modern radio that will fit in the console of the BJ-8 and look ok.

Hey Bill!!
Check E-Bay for some of the early Kenwood units they have AM/FM memory which provides excellent programmable station selection. Great sensitivity, selectivity and Fidelity while just managing to fit in the console you can even refit the original chrome trim.--Fwiw--Keoke

Country flag
A few years ago, I looked into a modern radio built into the original BMC radio I had. It was expensive. I ended up getting a period radio from Greg on this forum that he wasn't going to use. You can find a builder of modern radios on the internet. I will look for the information if I still have it. They will have the old look with all the modern stuff but you probably won't be able to hear anything. I connected head phone jacks to mine and its almost acceptable.
TH

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
IF it looks old generally it acts old too TH Maybe you should add a booster amplifier----Keoke-- :laugh:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Keoke said:
IF it looks old generally it acts old too TH Maybe you should add a booster amplifier----Keoke-- :laugh:

1118om0.jpg

Even Becker turned to that solution eventually, offering an amp (see arrow) in the Europa stereo. It gives a good boost, but's not going to rock the car like my V-8 :banana:

Ken, the install looks great. You've really improved the heck out of that car.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Keoke said:

1118om0.jpg

Even Becker turned to that solution eventually, offering an amp (see arrow) in the Europa stereo. It gives a good boost, but's not going to rock the car like my V-8 :banana:

Ken, the install looks great. You've really improved the heck out of that car.
Your Halda work? I have one just like it.
Patrick

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Rick. I'm really close to having a "I'm done, look at me" photo shoot. I'm sorting out the last few details, then I will post some pics.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The Becker Europa looks great, e-bay is a great source for these things, I took sort of a middle ground and put in a Pioneer analog AM/FM cassette in my '68 Triumph, these still fit in the most of the old style openings and in my opinion look much more appropriate than a modern eletronically tuned radio, but have a bit of updgraded sound and performance with their early 80s technology.

I picked the one shown below (new in box) for $25, steal of a deal, I noticed the old Becker, etc. are really shooting up in price, also got a generic looking pushbutton AM/FM Kraco that is more period correct, but I wanted something slightly better.

trradio.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Your Halda work? I have one just like it.
Patrick

I don't really know. My car was literally in a barn strewn with various LBC parts when I bought it in 1985 and I got it as part of the deal. I have the gearbox for it but I don't know if it was in my Healey or the seller's Mini. Trying to hook it up with the T5 tranny isn't worth the trouble since I'm not into TSD rallying. So now it's a "for display" period accessory that gives me warm memories of happy days perusing the Villelm B. Hahn and MG Mitten catalogs.

Vintage rallye equipment is pretty popular in Europe where there seems to be more vintage rallyes requiring period navigational aids. Tripmasters, Speedmasters, Curta Calculators and dual Heuer stopwatches all fetch remarkable sums on European eBay sites.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Glad to see the Becker in your ride. Keoke is right, add a booster. I have used a small booster-equalizer for years with my vintage Blaupunkt.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Also "period correct" for the BJ8 but not an original accessory would be a "Lear Jet Stereo 8" eight track player:

ezl4ww.jpg

Pop in your Beach Boys casette and you'll be groovin' down the road.

Sweet Rick, Sweet