• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I Think I have Found a New Love [T series MG]

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I was driving back to work on this fine spring day and took a detour through the old neighborhood where I used to live which always has seemed to attract weird and wonderful cars. This may be why I grew up the way I did.

Anyway, drive by Butch's house, Butch at one time worked for the BL dealer in town and keeps a stable of interesting cars, I see his white Austin Healey 3000 and an old T series MG. I knew he had the 3000, hadn't seen the MG before.

I drive by, half a block and the siren song of rare old British cars pulls me back like some invisible but irresistable force.

So I get out, admire the car in the driveway, and hear sounds of construction, Butch is home building his new 4 stall detached garage. I look at the car some more, big 19" inch wire wheels say MG TC, but the antique license plate says 1939. Maybe not a TC, which was the post WWII MG.

So I figure I better say hey, ask him about the car, "would you like to take a closer look?" "Sure" Turns out it is a T series, but not a TC, its a '39 MG TB (which is basically the same as a TC but a little narrower).

We talk some more, I say I should let him go back to work and he says "You want to go for a quick ride around the block"

OK, its 73 degrees out, the sun is shining, I am self employed and well...what would you say?

Wow, what a blast, the car is right hand drive, I think they all were, the sound and acceleration of the car feel a lot like a Spridget, but the view down the long hood, the old dash and guages, the low cut doors, and the hard ride and very direct steering have a wonderful feel all their own.

I could imagine how people felt stepping out of their contemproary American cars into this little firecracker.

The moral of the story is that T series MG goes from the long list of cars I would like to own to the short list.

I highly recommend a ride in one should you ever get the chance.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Re: I Think I have Found an New Love [T series MG]

I've been waiting for years to do mine. If I stop [censored] around with all these other cars, I'll eventually get to it. This year is the year I tell ya...this year.

Steve_S

Yoda

The TB was a very limited production, being cut short by the onset of the war. The overall dimensions are the same as TC, but the passenger compartment is 4" narrower although the seat is about the same size. The TC drive train is a bit nicer, but isn't technically a pre-war car.

I know exactly what you mean about the allure of the T-Series M.G. I was always attracted to them as well, but had no idea how much in love I would fall with mine. I wrote a couple short essays about it around the time I bought the car. You may enjoy reading them...

https://www.mgnuts.com/tales/mgtc/afirstdrive/

https://www.mgnuts.com/tales/mgtc/why/

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Thanks Steve, they certainly do put a smile on your face.

The TC I looked at a couple of years ago has ended up back in England. Too bad I didn't manage to get aa deal put together....it was sold to a nearby dealer for double what I was willing to pay...and then E-bayed to England for double what the dealer paid. (Plus shipping)

The TF is on my long list. I've heard engine access is difficult, but it just has all the right lines.

R

RonMacPherson

Go for a J car. If you LIKE the TB, you'll LOVE the J car.

Steve_S

Yoda

TF bonnets only open from the top, so it is indeed difficult to work in the engine bay. I've seen people modify them to make access easier but it's still a pain. Other than that they are simple cars to maintain.

I'd love a J-Type as well as many other pre-war models, but they have become too expensive to purchase, even if you find one in poor condition. I can't even find a TA basket case at a reasonable price anymore!

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight

J Car with cycle fenders is high on my list.

It is just that the parts for them are very expensive, especially with our current exchange rate.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I'm doing my best to never really drive a T series MG. I had one very short test ride in a super ratty TF, but not enough to really get the feel. Sat in my grandfather's TD once or twice as well when I was a kid. I don't want to drive one because then I'll wind up selling everything I own (do I really need that kidney... honey, you'd love working at a 3rd job...) to buy one.
grin.gif

When my lottery ticket comes in, the first dollars I spend will be for a TC.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

THe guy with the TB I rode in picked it up last year, had been sitting around in a mortuary(!) in a small town in Nebraska, I did not want to know what he paid for it. There are still "finds" out there if you are patient, keep asking around, and get a little lucky now and then.

It is an all there car that now runs and drives well (now), but would need a lot of work to be restored. Still for a car like that (a little over 500 made, who knows how many left) just to explore the many cool features (it had remote grease fittings so you could pump grease to various components of the car, three in a row, marked for the spots they went to) just to be able to look over the details and ride in it or drive in it is a great treat to a British car nut.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Steve_S said:
You could have driven mine in Park City.
Probably best that I didn't... I probably do need that kidney. :smile:

ronzet

Jedi Knight
TD Fans,

I had a chance to look at a 1950 TD the other day... Immaculate, although a well done conversion, it does have a Ford 4 cyl (Pinto I am told) installed. I do not know if the entire drivetrain is converted. The car is very nice....

It is for sale for a reasonable price at 12,500... If interested I can provide the info to contact the owner...I have no ties to the car just thought I should mention it. Just PM me. It is in the San Diego area.

If I did not have enough projects already and short of cash anyway, I would buy it....