• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery Parts found in intake. What are they?

christophe

Jedi Trainee
When I removed the intake manifold I found these small parts inside. I assume they belong to the carburetor. I really don't understand how they could have ended up in the intake, but clearly they fell off of something and found their way into the intake manifold.

Thanks!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I removed the intake manifold I found these small parts inside. I assume they belong to the carburetor. I really don't understand how they could have ended up in the intake, but clearly they fell off of something and found their way into the intake manifold.

Thanks!

Looks like an oil pressure relief valve & spring.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am not sure what those parts are but you are one lucky fella that they stayed in the manifold and did not get into the engine.--WOW

Looks like it came from the timing chain adjuster but HOW !!

Last edited:
OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Yes, it is a cup and the spring fits perfectly inside. I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but the bronze piece has a small hole in the center and it is also dished out in the middle. If it is an oil pressure relief valve, where would it have come from? Again, I am perplexed as to how the pieces ended up in the intake.

Country flag
Hard to know what they are without a reference to size/scale, but I don't think they came from SUs; actually looks more like the greasing mechanism for the distributor.

Of course, they could be anything; one of your buds might've slipped those in there just to get a rise out of you...

Country flag
Looks like oil relief cup and spring to me as well. You might want to check to see if you have one in your engine. How they got into the intake is a mystery!

Marv

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I am not sure what those parts are but you are one lucky fella that they stayed in the manifold and did not get into the engine.--WOW

Looks like it came from the timing chain adjuster but HOW !!
It looks like parts that may have found there way in when someone had their "young helper" working with them and they made the mistake of leaving them alone for a few seconds.

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
It looks like parts that may have found there way in when someone had their "young helper" working with them and they made the mistake of leaving them alone for a few seconds.

Nobody is working on the car except me...no children around or any other adults for that matter. I removed the carburetors yesterday and then immediately removed the intake and exhaust manifold together. As soon as i tilted the manifold i saw the bronze cup. I then heard the spring and rotated the intake so it would fall out. Total mystery!

-The bronze piece is about the size of my pinky nail. About 1/2" long and 7/16" wide
-The spring is 3/4" long and is very stiff. I cannot compress it manually.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nobody is working on the car except me...no children around or any other adults for that matter.

SO how did you goof up ??--:lol:

G

mechanism for the distributor.

Of course, they could be anything; one of your buds might've slipped those in there just to get a rise out of you...

Then that "someone" would be removing them from another "runner"...IF... in fact they could be removed....

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Nobody is working on the car except me...no children around or any other adults for that matter.

SO how did you goof up ??--:lol:

Great question. I think I would have noticed that spring flying off of a part while disassembling it. And if it did fly off of a part, what are the chances of it ending up in the intake?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Do you have blackouts and wake up in a different city? That might explain how the parts got there.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Do you have any enemies? Those parts just don't jump in their by them selves. Where's the mystery? I don't know Healey engines but, someone put them in there! OR, they were in the manifold when it was installed. Your very lucky no matter how you look at it! If one of those got into one of the valves and broke one off! Hmmm. I dropped a valve in my Bronco once, it cost me a new engine. Destroyed piston, cylinder wall and head. PJ

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Im telling you, they did just jump or fall in there after the carbs were removed. Nobody has access to my garage except me, so it's not possible that anyone put them there, unless it was a ghost. From the time the carbs were removed to the time the manifold was removed was all of about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I guess it doesnt matter. If they are missing from a part, then it will eventually become obvious.

D

Deleted member 8987

Thanks!

Well.....did they have any oil on them? If so, fresh, as 27 years of petrol mix passing over them would have cleaned them but good.
Must have been interesting adjusting carbs..and getting the adjustment to "stick". Can't go down the throat unless they are small enough to fit around the butterfly and shaft.
Dave

NickR

Freshman Member
You are a hard worker and stuff happens. Good thing they didn't go through the thing that compresses ssss & $$$$$$$

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The spring does not look long enough for the oil pressure relief valve, Keoke is near the mark with a timing chain tensioner. Keep it all safe, you may find out where it is missing from one day. One thing is for sure, it must have been placed there or fallen in 'cause it is not from a carb.

:cheers:

Bob