• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I've tried just about everything but.......

saltshaker

can't keep the front brakes on my 75 TR6 from squeeling. Anyone have suggestions? Moss has an insert to put behind the pads --- does this work?

D

DougF

What kind of pads are you using? A good while back, there were some stock pads that had that problem. Replacing them was the cure. If yours are newer, that shouldn't be the problem.
I run the "Green" pads. I don't experience squeeling and they provide better braking. They are advertised as being cleaner though I haven't found that to be the case. Heavy brake dust is a good trade off for better braking.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Dan,

Do you have the stock anti-squeal shims installed behind your pads? These are thin metal shims and need to be installed directionaly...there is an arrow on them I recall. I have them on my 73 and have no issues.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
S

saltshaker

Tried to order some from Moss but it was on back order. There is a Brititsh parts house in Atlanta I'm going to contact this week.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Have you tried to get your FLAPS to cross reference the anti squeal shims? I remember when I bought pads for my 75 Spitfire I was surprised by the number of cars they fit when I read the box.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I had that problem with my TR3A, I bought some "cut to fit" shims at my FLAPS that worked well. They were just soft sheets of aluminum with adhesive backing, that could be cut to size with scissors and glued on the back of the pads.

Another trick that sometimes works is to use a file to bevel the leading edge of the pads a bit.

If all else fails, new pads may be the only cure. When you do, be sure to scuff up the rotor surface and clean it thoroughly.

BTW, TRF shows the shims on sale at the moment, which probably means they are in stock
grin.gif

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G D would anybody be able to tell the correct way to static time a essex v6 I have tried and failed cheers garth TVR 14
C Well I Tried with a new SU fuel pump British Motor Corp 0
Jim_Gruber Recovering Dashboard - Anyone tried this approach? Spridgets 4
M Wanted I tried to post this earlier and it didn't seem to work so this might soon appear as Austin Healey Classifieds 6
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Has anyone tried this new steering box top plate Triumph 14
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Has anyone tried to rewind/fix a fuel tank sending unit? Triumph 11
S Anybody tried this Alternator ? Austin Healey 11
Simmo MGB Have you ever tried removing the spring clip on the Keylock from inside the door MG 0
jdubois Anybody tried these floats? Triumph 7
W Tried to start the Whitephrog for the first time Spridgets 5
W Anybody tried this before... Spridgets 11
M Side Curtain Rubber Has anyone tried MacGregor? Spridgets 2
R mech. water temp gauge repair? have you tried this Spridgets 4
RickB Cleaning of plastic windows - just tried McGuire's Spridgets 5
angelfj1 Liquid Powder Coating - has anyone tried this? Restoration & Tools 4
B Trimcar upholstery. Anyone tried these guys? Triumph 4
MGBGT_noob MGB Has anyone ever tried this with an MGB? MG 10
M T-Series Has any TD owner tried radial tires? MG 20
mgblue79 Has anyone tried E85? Spridgets 16
W Home-made tonneau - has anyone tried? Triumph 15
B Has anyone tried this with their Healey? Austin Healey 9
B Tried a New Shop for the Audi Other Cars 2
S Tried a new Elise on for size Lotus 29
S Anybody tried Eastwood's Tin Zinc Electroplating? MG 4
J Has anyone tried The Amazing Roll Up Car Cover? Restoration & Tools 18
giwplay1 Everything you need to know before purchasing an Austin Healey Austin Healey 15
R TR6 Mazda Miata ride, everything else TR6 Triumph 13
steveg Steve Kingsbury has lost everything. Austin Healey 11
Boink Center justification on everything now... FORUM Navigation Questions 3
B Everything runs better with this mod - all models!!! Spridgets 7
PeterK General TR Holden UK sale 15% off everything Triumph 0
Randy Harris Timing is everything - the question is - is this the time? Austin Healey 14
H Don't you love it when everything is working right Austin Healey 1
7 Its driving season and everything works Triumph 5
Frankenhealey Aluminium everything - weight saving? Austin Healey 3
Tabcon EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! Racing 3
T Getting everything out of the M/C Spridgets 10
C Everything was goin good... now no brake lights Spridgets 8
bgbassplyr "Everything was working when I parked it." Triumph 7
jlaird Everything loaded up Spridgets 13
sparkydave Everything's working right! Wow! Spridgets 3
regularman Do you paint everything? Spridgets 2
G When you rebuild your car double check everything Triumph 7
bcliff New Owner, need info, parts, and everything! British Motor Corp 5