• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Everything was goin good... now no brake lights

cl_miata

well I replaced the brake light switch a few weeks ago, (has a total of like 50 miles usage) and finally got it back together tonight with the new carpet, went to go for a spin, no brake lights, moved the connector to goes from the wiring harness to the brake light wires and all was good,I then proceeded with my drive, came back home, then decided to run to the store with he midget, and once again no brake lights, this time took the rubber off the connectors, discovered they were quite rusty so replaced them all together, and still no brake lights, have tail lights, and everything else though... I'm not enjoying this MG ownership all that much

Country flag
Yup, you need to clean all the electrical connections and ground wires. (It's an old car). Also, be aware that your replacement switch may have already burned out (Some of them are just that poor). Did you keep the old one to rebuild as we mentioned earlier?

startech47

Jedi Knight
Apply distributor dielectric grease to the connectors as you reassemble them. This keeps Oxygen away from the mating surfaces and reduces oxidation. The contacting surfaces will push the grease out of the way and allow electrical contact. You just need a thin coat. Don't overdo it.

OP
C

cl_miata

Well all the connections for the brake switch is new, and everything else is working... I jumpered the two posts on the switch together and the brake lights still didnt light up?

Country flag
Is there power to either post on the switch? (Remember to turn the key on to test)

If there is power, then start checking connections at the brake light and move forward. If there is not power, work from the switch back to the fuse box.

May be simple as the bullet connectors where the main harness ties to the rear.

Morris

Yoda
I had a similar problem. The solution was to clean, clean, clean, sand and clean the contacts on the fuse box. I also use a relay to switch my brake lights. The design for the brake light switch whether new or Chinese/Indian reproduction is just crappy.

jbowlby

Also don't forget the grounds. One on the firewall and one in the trunk. Just because they may me tight dosent mean they are grounded. Remove scrape to bare metal and re-fasten.

OP
C

cl_miata

Ah, cleaning the fusebox was the key... my tach also started working normally along with my fuel gauge.... I bought that relay for the brake light switch, but lost the instructions so am going to have to find them again

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well done.