• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HIF 44 Choke

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello Gents,
Any idea on how I can tweak my single HIF 44 so that the first start of the day is quick. At the moment with the choke out it takes sometimes 30 seconds to start. On occasion it does not start and the bat goes flat, I have a short fit and then plug in the bat boost. Calm down and more cranking and then happy again. Once running it starts immediately, never and problems. Now that the cold weather is here it is getting worse. The carb is rebuilt. I have looked through a couple of carb manuals but no luck on choke adjustment. My twin Su’s always started cold or warm.
Thanks Phil

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Obviously your float bowl is emptying overnite.

Country flag
I dunno Jack, but it is easy to check if he is running an electric fuel pump

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Jack easy on me, it is not that obvious. Ok there is no external leak. I need some help with a fuel bowl check. Since the bowl is on the bottom, not as easy as a std twin su setup.
Jack great check, can hardly wait for morning.
thanks Phil

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Next check is disconnect the fuel line from the pump and check for delivery after setting overnite. Could be a bad valve in the pump as well allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.

What ever it winds up being it is a dumb thing. Oh yea, one of those.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Ok I will try that, the pump is only 6 months old.
thanks Phil

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Ok I checked the electric fuel pump. It is new this year; it has fuel in the line. I unscrewed a bolt on the side of the float bowl, fuel ran out. I am beginning to think that the motor does not turn over fast enough. Here is my setup.
The compression is 10:1 I am using 20w50 oil. The temperature has been around 32f the last few weeks. Today the temp was 26f and it was slow to turn over and refused to start. The motor has about 4000miles since rebuild. I had to charge the bat and wait until things warmed up and then it started. The battery is 1 week old and is rated at 900 crank amps. The alt is also brand new and is charging perfect. So tonight I changed the oil to 10w30, and will see what happens. The next few days are forecasted to be in the 50’s so may need to wait until next week sometime. I wonder if a reduction starter would make a difference, the current starter is brand new Lucas rebuild from Lucas, and it is only 2 months old.
So what do you guys think?
Thanks Phil

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Phil, others will likely wade in here but I'm wondering about timing or coil. It seems highly unlikely to me that a new 900 amp battery wouldn't turn over the engine. after 4k miles everything should be seated. you have fuel, I presume the carb was set up properly when it was rebuilt so you should have air. this leaves only spark. My first guess (and it is only a guess) is that you might have a weak coil that gives almost enough spark when cold and enough spark when warm. second is the same with timing. close enough when warm but not close enough when cold.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello JP,

Thanks for the idea's The coil is brand new, the distributor is electronic, it is the 123 system.I checked the timming a month ago, it does not ping at all and seems to pull really well. I had hoped to put the car on a dyno this month but that has not happened. Busy this weekend but i may pull out the timming light and recheck, who knows.
thanks Phil

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
You may have to remove the enrichment device from the side of the carb and make sure that the fuel ports are clear. I have an HIF 44 on my car and it starts instantly -

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Not sure what you mean, are talking about removing the choke mechanism. Yesterday I took the float bottom off and had a look; it all looks good no dirt clean as a whistle.

Thanks Phil