• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HIF tweaking

alsmith

HELP! Well got everything hooked up today and cranked my Midget today for the first time since I installed the HIF44 carb. but before it cranked it was pouring fuel out the overflow so I plugged it. now it pours out the carb inlet until it cranks. so what are the options as to what is wrong and what should I do first. Bad float, stuck needle or maybe pump too strong any help would be greatly appreciated. also the car ran great after it cranked which was nice.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
LOL, stuck float valve. Easy fix and no cost.

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
The needle probably isn't seated properly.

You can check fuel pressure too though. If it's over 3.5psi I'd dial it back somehow.

My carbs do this when the bowls are empty and I'm filling them for the first time.. the fix is to pull the bowl off, fill it with gas, and put it back on slowly to get the needle to 'float' up where it's supposed to be.

OP
A

alsmith

thanks guys I will check the float valve and see if that is the trouble. man it is amazing how much fuel comes out when there is nothing to stop it.

The HIF4 guys has the float bowl made into the bottom of the carb, very different than HS2 or H1s. My guess to would be a stuck needle/seat float valve as well, but you need to remember these were used on MGBs with a twin car set of and one carb carried fuel to the other, so if it has three brass tubes on the side of the carb, two are fuel supply tubes (not counting the angled smog/vent tube higher up the carb body) so you need to confirm fuel supply tubes vs vent tubes.

On the twin HIF4 MGB set up, the car's fuel supply hose was carried to the front carb, so you had two brass tube on the non linkage side of the carb, one was a fuel supply the other a vent, then on the linkage side of the fornt carb a carry over fuel supply brass tube to carry fuel to the rear carb (which has one fuel supply tube on the linakge side with a vent tube on the on the non linkage side. Thats why with a HIF4 single carb application made to fit a 1500 you would desire to have the rear carb, not the front carb. .

Al if it ends up being a neelde seat flaot vlave, call Gordon at The B Hive in Clemson www.thebhive.com, and ask him for a viton tip needle seat valve, and save yourself soem grief, also i would recommend submerge checking the float to make sure it not taking on fuel.

OP
A

alsmith

Thanks Hap this was a HIF44 off a 1275 mini so it was a single carb. setup. I rebuilt the carb. but reused the float needle so I guess I will pull the carb. back off tonight and check it out.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Viton tiped needles do not stick??? How about the H1 carb, are they available for us.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Note Hap's comments, I'm willing to be you have the hose connected to the wrong tube, don't ask me why I think that. :whistle:

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
are the vition tips the one with the rubber tip and are spring loaded in the other end.

G

v8mgbal said:
are the vition tips the one with the rubber tip and are spring loaded in the other end.

I've had a few of those stick on me, up in the seat. The tip was worn from vibration/pressure and jammed up in better than you would think. The thing that sucks is, once it does that, you can't just tap on the side of the carb to free it.

I like them ol' fasun metel need'les.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hey Hap, can I use the viton tip for a HIF4 in my HIF44 carb or do they make them for the HIF44 thanks.