• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Guage bezel gaskets

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Does anyone have a source for the gasket that fits the bezel and holds the glass in place on the guages. None of the usual sources list them in their catalog. Thanks for any info.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I cut some out of gasket paper (the grey/black kind). Experiment with juice glasses etc to get concentric rings of the needed size and cut with manicure scissors.

dklawson

Yoda
Are you talking about the paper gaskets Geo mentioned or the thicker seals that go between the glass and the chrome?

Like Geo, I make the paper rings from gasket paper, sometimes spraying them with satin black paint if they are not dark enough.

For the glass to metal seal I buy various sizes of the vinyl spline used to hold household window screens in their frames. The spline has a star shaped profile and is available in different "diameters" to provide a squishy and compliant strip to keep the glass from rattling.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
What I am talking about it the glass to metal seal between the glass and the chrome. Not sure where the paper gasket would go. Vinyl spline sounds like a good idea and readily available. I was thinking of trying to find an o ring of the appropriate size but the vinyl spline would be easier and cheaper. Thanks.

dklawson

Yoda
Try Moss part#'s 280-860 and 280-870.

Those appear to be the seals used between the gauge and the dash.

BobbyO, keep in mind that there are different sizes of spline so you may end up buying several different packages of spline to get what fits. I believe when I last bought the stuff, Home Depot and Lowes carried different sizes from each other.

triumphant2

Freshman Member
Country flag
Nisonger Instruments has bezel gasket in sizes 52,80,100 and 125 mm for both flat and convex glass. Look at their website, they are listed towards the bottom of page. Don't confuse the gaskets between the gage and dash. You will have to order them by email, sorry I don't recall the guy's name there that handles them. I seem to remember that they were not too expensive.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep...Nisonger, but they are very proud of them. Last year it cost me $100 for a set of the 6 seals. There is really nothing special about them, so maybe someone out there knows of a generic foam that will work?

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,

I bought the seal that fits between the glass and the bezel off fleebay from a guy in England. Try auto electric spares, NEW 3mm Sponge Cord Seal x 1 meter for Smiths Bezels. They sell lengths that you cut to fit.

Roy

dklawson

Yoda
I have used Auto Electric Spares before. They have good products and ship promptly. If you don't want to try the vinyl screen door spline I would not hesitate to buy from AES.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks to all. I went to Lowe's yesterday and they have a large selection of vinyl splines. Tried the 0.160 but that is too large. Will try smaller today. When I get a working diameter spline I'll post the results here. Going to try the 0.120 next. Think that's their smallest.

dklawson

Yoda
If the nominal 1/8" spline is too small, they should also have some right in between at 0.14" diameter. Fortunately the spline is cheap enough to try multiple sizes and not spend a lot.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I tried the 1/8" spline and it seemed to large. I split it in half with a razor knife and the half worked fine. It was on a fuel gauge. Haven't tried any others yet. I really expected the 1/8" to work fine. May have been operator error.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
When it's old it doesn't seem like it, but the seals are actually very soft foam rubber. 1/8" is about right, but the original foam compresses a good bit.