• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fuel guage for Jack

bugimike

Yoda
see front and back view differences, Jack

Attachments

• 4301-100_1599.jpg
    4301-100_1599.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 4302-100_1601.jpg
    4302-100_1601.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 40

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Mike, I just asked the question elsewhere, but I will ask you here since you provided pics and you have been helpful (sorry if I'm taking advantage here...hehe):

The back of my gauge looks like the gauge on the left side in the pic. It's got the 3 square posts, the 2 nuts that can slide up and down for what reason I have no idea and then finally the long pin/post which, along with the u-clamp looking item (not seen in picture) secure the gauge once its in the dashboard.

So I have 3 wires on my harness that appear to run to the fuel gauge. One is black, so that's ground, and I am attaching that to the long pin/post once the u-bracket clamp is in place.

Where do the other two non-black wires go to? The wires have eye/round-terminal ends...

Thanks!

Mustafa

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, the one with the tabs has a Bugeye face but the tabs are for a later car when they changed to them, maybe a MK 1 midget.

Either or Mike, I have a face so I can replace the strange one even. However, I would prefer the one on the left if it works.

Just do not ever mess with the short nuts, they are an adjustment system and ring, glass, face and the blue plastic thing for the light are removeable with out messing with them.

OP
bugimike

bugimike

Yoda
Jack those two nuts that can slide up and down are actually adjustments to set the "full" and "empty" setting sweep of the needle!! I imagine you could bench test it with a sending unit. One of the nuts is marked "T" and the other "B" ...Top and Bottom of the sender range!!

You have the one on the left on the way, and as far as I know, they both work. If it doesn't, let me know and I will send you the other and hopefully that one will. I'm sure you know how it is with parts that have sat in a drawer for who-knows-how-long!

Mustafa, the two wires go to the terminals <u>above</u> the "sliding" nuts (which you really do not want to touch as they adjust the full and empty readings!). You are correct, the black goes to the center post and is the ground, the others as I said attach to each of the spade (square) terminals. If your wiring has eyes, you can switch them to female spades. You can use the crimp-on kind, though I prefer to solder my connections.

PS Green goes to the side marked "B" and green/black to side marked "T"

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Ok, so I am assuming one wire goes to the right spade, and the other goes to the left and the spade in the middle is left alone?

Why put it there then?

BTW, I have, of course, completely messed around with the sliding screws as I originally thought this is where the wires went to....sweet.

OP
bugimike

bugimike

Yoda
Good question...sorry, I have no answer. Maybe something else could be wired in series??

To reset those screws you shouldn't have touched, set them approximately in the middle of the slots and start there. You will either have to fill and drain your tank, or take your time and watch the guage as you use fuel. With the tank empty, when the ignition is on, the needle will move from park (against the pin on the far left)to "E". if it does not, nut on the back marked "B" needs adjusting until the needle is on "E". The same must be done with the tank full to get the needle to "F" by adjusting "T".

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And is that ever a pain. Someone someplace set up a breadboard to set them and even had the voltages posted for the various tankage.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
I would venture to say that anything with spade terminals is NOT original late 1950s or early 1960s Lucas equipment. Spade terminals came later and may have been fitted as original equipment to late 1960s and 1970s era vehicles, but I do not think to Bugeyes.

For some reason when they did start to appear, I think in the mid-1960s, they were obscurely and confusingly referred to as "Lucar" connectors.

ncbugeye's fuel gauge has BA nuts and washers on studs, and the face of the gauge is exactly like the left-hand picture above.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yep, so correct, but then I can live with spade terminals behind the dash. In fact the turn signal switch is spade terminals of a little different type.

Oh my goodness, I forgot a light bulb for the turn signal indicator, LOL. Wonder what else is missing.

OP
bugimike

bugimike

Yoda
Well, Drew, the left hand top picture (and rt. hand bottom) must be an original BE unit (and is the one I sent to Jack)and the one on the right must be a newer one. I did not mess with either, they were just in my collection of "stuff". The one in my BE is much newer than either as the face is quite different (it has a little "window" for the needle display. If only this "stuff" could talk eh? I am not a real stickler for originality like that, though if something is "correct" I will try to maintain it as such. So long as I get an accurate reading of how much fuel I have, that's what is important! I am hoping the one I sent to Jack is in good working order now since it is the oldest in my collection!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
All right, ya made me go out in the cold garage and look. Tunebug's gauge is like the top left, but the back has 2 studs similar to the bottom right. Who knows, these things were made all sorts of ways over the years.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yena Yena, made ya look, hehe.