• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gas question

TNTriumph

Is there any reason to use lead addative. I usually put premium gas with lead addative. Just wanted you guys to weigh in on it

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I doubt that it is necessary. I drove the TR3A for about 20 or 25 years with unleaded & no additive. When the head finally came off to address valve guides and a long-overdue burnt valve I saw no problem w/ recession. Did do hardened seats though as it costs very little while the head is apart.

Just my $.02

R6MGS

Yoda
I *try* to remember to put additive in my cars....But I doesn't happen often, especially if my wife fills it......Never had a problem in the 35 years I've owned these things.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I try to put additive in every time I fill up, if I dont I can feel the difference when taking off in 1st. Then again I'm running 32/36 Dgv Webbers, may be different with stock carbs or SU's

Tomster

Jedi Knight
I have looked for additivesfor about a year, that actually state that they contain lead, . They all say "stabilizes fuel or boosts octane" etc. Maybe illegal in Canada. I no longer worry about this

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I found some auctual lead addative and it seems to make the car run great

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link for it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I don't know if it applies to them so wouldn't generalize these comments to the the later 6-cyl. or smaller 4-cyl. Triumph motors...

But the 4-cylinder TR3/4 head is a lot more resistant to valve seat recession problems than some (most?) other cars of its era. It has to do with the alloy that Triumph originally used when casting the head, which has proven pretty durable even with fuel changes. This is from a metallurgist and a long-time TR racer/engine builder, that the cars will survive pretty darned well with unleaded gas *unless they are driven quite hard*. High rpms and heavy use of the engine (racing conditions) *are* more likely to cause valve seat problems in this particular engine.

Another key unleaded issue, the valve guides, are more likely to see a problem. The original guides partly relied upon lead in the fuel for some lubrication. This is particular true on the hot/exhaust side. Worn orignal guides that allow a bit more oil in are probably helped to survive thanks to that little bit of additional oil (although that means more oil ends up getting burning in the combustion chamber).

Replacement guides are now generally unleaded fuel compatible (phosphor bronze? which has more self-lubricating properties), but check the archive about warnings on properly fitting these (going by original factory specs can cause valve stem seizure).

Finally, the original valves themselves hold up pretty well, but it's recommended to convert to stainless steel valves, especially on the exahust side, to handle the higher temps typical of unleaded fuel.

No fuel additive sold over the counter in the U.S. has any lead in it. It's illegal to import or sell. Other less-effective-than-lead, but possibly helpful additives are substituted. There have been some extensive studies of the different products, their additives and their effectiveness, you might google for this info on the Internet.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Tomster

Jedi Knight
As I said
"I have looked for additivesfor about a year, that actually state that they contain lead, . They all say "stabilizes fuel or boosts octane" etc. Maybe illegal in Canada. I no longer worry about this"
An old friend who used to sell Tetra Ethyl Lead for a major multinational corp.before it was banned "No Lead to sell, No work to do, I'm outa here!"

tekspeek

Freshman Member
What Octane should I use on a TR4? I've been running regular and occasionally premium because I feel guilty. I don't have any engine knock with either choice.

Pete