• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gas & Oil

CuriousGeorge

I'm reading the thread on oils and I got 2 questions;
first, is there a down side to using oil that isn't 'consumed' as quickly in older motors? Also, my 79 spit's gas gauge stated 'unleaded only'.. what about the older cars (ie, 72 tr6 built in '71? Do you all use lead additive?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used unleaded for many years w/o head modification but it finally caught up with me in the form of excessive valve recession. No harm done, the job (inserting hardened valve seats) is the same whether one does it sooner or later.

I could tell the valves were receding just because of the amount and frquency of adjustment required. This happened slowly on the TR3A but more quickly on the 4 which is driven a bit harder (most noticable after a 1000 miles highway trip at 80+ mph.

I possibly did not understand the question about oil. If you mean does using a heavier oil that reduces oil consumption I know of know down side provided the climate is warm enough to warrant the heavier weight.

OP
C

CuriousGeorge

Regarding oil--I guess Im wondering if oil is slipping past moving parts an so being consumed, can't that also be a good thing (if you can afford it(
Regarding gas--would you recommend using the lead additive in a motor that you don't know has had any valve work?
Thanks, CG

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
CG, I met a dirt track car builder who said he thought it was good for an engine to use oil because he knew "things" were getting lubricated. I guess that's one way to look at it. I have to draw the line on combustion chamber lubrication when I can't see behind me because of the smoke from all that lubricatin' going on. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

OP
C

CuriousGeorge

You know, i'm really much too old to be this excited about a car again! (46) I look at new cars and they just don't move me (although a few manage to, but just barely)
but when I look at pics of the tr6, I really see an exciting car. can't WAIT to have mine in my garage.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
George, I grew up in western PA. Cars are in your blood back there.

And I'm 10 years older than you and I still get enthused about Triumphs. See the proof below:

https://www.74tr6.com

OP
C

CuriousGeorge

Hey thanks for the empathy! Nice cars guys.
Brosky, great website.

While I have your attentions, do either of you have an idea of the difference in performance between my 4cyl Spitfire and the tr6? What to expect?

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
My 71 Spit is Slooooooooooooow. But that doesn't bother me a bit. I'm too old to be in a hurry. I just enjoy the ride. If you were to time my spit in a quarter mile you could use a calander. No need for a stop watch.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Calendar? Heck, I drive a Herald and I've driven Mayflowers...you need carbon-dating or to count rings in a tree trunk to measure acceleration in those. (Too bad there's no "rim-shot" smiley on this forum.)

CG, it's almost unfair to even try to compare a Spitfire and TR6. A Spitfire is like a wonderful, nimble little pair of running shoes. As much as I might get flack for this, I feel a TR6 is much more a grand-touring type of car, with its smoothness and long-leggedness if not ultimate go-kart handling. (I'm assuming unmodified Spits and TR6s here.)

Made to choose, I'd take a Spitfire over a TR6. On the other hand, if someone were to hand me the keys to a 1969 white TR6 with red interior....

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Yes larger, yes heavier
The thrill I get in my 6 is when I've got the loud pedal down and feel the torque in the seat back; holding it down in 3rd gear with the RPM's passing 5K
The 6 is pretty agile but you certainly can feel the extra weight over a spitfire in the corners

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CuriousGeorge said:
Regarding oil--I guess Im wondering if oil is slipping past moving parts an so being consumed, can't that also be a good thing (if you can afford it
Some (a very small amount) is definitely required in places like valve guides. But more is not better.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
Regarding gas--would you recommend using the lead additive in a motor that you don't know has had any valve work?
Thanks, CG [/QUOTE]IMO, Save the money you would spend on additives, against replacing the seats if you do start getting recession. Chances are good the money will stay in your wallet. Many of the additives on the market are worthless, and the last 'real' test I saw said none of them would prevent it completely.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CuriousGeorge said:
Regarding oil--I guess Im wondering if oil is slipping past moving parts an so being consumed, can't that also be a good thing (if you can afford it
Some (a very small amount) is definitely required in places like valve guides. But more is not better.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
Thanks, CG [/QUOTE]IMO, Save the money you would spend on additives, against replacing the seats if you do start getting recession. Chances are good the money will stay in your wallet. Many of the additives on the market are worthless, and the last 'real' test I saw said none of them would prevent it completely.