• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front Crossmember Replacement

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I removed the front crossmember to access the front timing chain cover. Any suggestions on how to spread the towers to replace it? I remember doing this a couple decades ago, but can't remember how I did it. The space discrepancy between the two is too great to pound the crossmember in place.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Get the front bolt in on one side and insert a tapered punch in the same hole in the other side. Put your other two bolts in on the forced side and all should fall into place.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But first, put a jack under the center of the front lower crossmember and lift the car with it. In most cases, the towers will droop enough to let the upper crossmember go in without drama.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randall has got the secret. I tried to install this with all the weight on the wheels and it was super difficult. I built a custom spreader before I realized all I needed to do was raise up the car from the front lower crossmember. What a waste of time and welding wire! Good luck.

Pat

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Pat, I too was thinking of a spreader, but I knew there was a simpler way. I jacked it up on the two frame front side rails but didn't think of the center crossmember.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I placed a jack under the center of the front lower crossmember and lifted the car off its front wheels. All I needed to do was hold the crossmember in place and put in the bolts. Thanks Randall!

toysrrus

Yoda
This is probably a silly question but I may be trying this in the near future. I'm presuming this was done with the car completely assembled? Meaning, The front fenders, apron etc was mounted!

After re-installing the crossmember; What effect,(If Any), was there in the gaps, did the front fenders align with the apron as if nothing was touched?

Was there any distortion anywhere; If the car was assembled?

Thanx Much,

Russ

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Russ, the front apron was removed, the rest of the car was intact. After re-installing the crossmember, the gaps and fender alignment were good, as before. All bolts fit easily into the caged nuts. No distortion.

toysrrus

Yoda
Thanx JFS.

I`m back to possibly considering doing that but still ??????????????

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Russ, the movement is quite small, no more than 1/4" max. And it has to go back where it was before, especially with the body still bolted together. I've done it both apron off and apron on, never noticed any problems afterwards.

But then, I've never been one to worry much about body gaps. They weren't perfect even when the cars were new, why should they be now? :D

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Randall,

Thanx for the vote of confidence on the gaps. I`m going to be doing this next wk. Thurs. at a friends shop. We`re going to pull the "Fan Ass`y" off & re-mount the "Hurricane Fan" I bought.

What problems does anyone see here that I may come across?

Thanx, Russ