• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fitting front apron TR3

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nothing I do will get the bottom of the apron, and the front fender to line up on both sides. All else is right where I want it to be. I've tried removing shims and pulling the front of the shell down, but that creates problems in other areas. When new did these cars line up at the bottom? It's only off by 1/4" and will be hidden by the bumper, but the fender bead will not look very good on the ends. Is this something I should just let go and move on? The only way I see to correct this would be to add material to the bottom of the fender. That would take forever, and be a pain the the rear.

Attachments

• 25187.jpg
    25187.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 429

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The restoration book talks about this problem. It is common. The solution depends on how anal you are about it being perfect. As you pointed out, it will not show unless you lean down under the bumper to look. The fix involves beating/cutting/or both. It's a lot of work for a quarter inch.

Good luck!

John

By the way...you work looks emaculate! Very nice!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO most of them did not line up when they were new. Dunno if it was always done, but I've seen the bead folded over to help hide the difference.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Hi, I can assure you, unfortunately, it's the fender. Incredibly Triumph lists three changes for 2's and 3's. Since you're showing the left they are: TS1-TS4228 / 900397, TS4229-TS6001 / 900656, TS6002-TS22013 (last small mouth). Every 3A following from TS22014 on uses 901212. I learned the difference early. I still own my old race car TS8651. After tangling with an oil drum in my first race after working for Uncle Sam. So back at the shop I started to hammer it out and the guy who built the car (I swear I remember even though it was 1972) says "You're giving me a headache. Get another one out of the attic." He had dozens up there. I get one and put it on. He looks and says, "Wrong one". To this day the car has one fender that fits and one that doesn't.

Tom L.

Correction!, Correction!, a friend called and pointed out I looked at the wrong page in the parts book (instead of calling me stupid). The correct #'s are, and there are only two) TS1-TS22529 / 900461 and TS22530-TCFxxx / 901270. Which means, interestingly, that the factory cranked out 500+ cars before fixing the problem of too long front fenders.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. They are the original factory fenders that came with the car so I'm sure they are correct. Right now I'm off to other areas of the car. Without this repair I'm starting to see a finish line with all this panel fitting. This has been about a three month process to get the gaps even. Thanks for the input.

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm not at the fender fitting stage yet on the 57, but I've been pounding on some fenders to address a few dents. So this comes to mind just hypothetical.... The top lip of the fender where the connection is made to the wing could be pushed down (it's a "Z" shape cross section area)and that may result in the lower corner being off. The hood wouldn't necessarily misalign across the apron until the bumpers were adjusted, so it may not help to base alignment on that. I know I'm going to have problems with this too.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
AEW said:
So this comes to mind just hypothetical.... The top lip of the fender where the connection is made to the wing could be pushed down (it's a "Z" shape cross section area)and that may result in the lower corner being off.

I'm not sure this would work. If you lower the outer wing, then the bonnet will lower...ultimately requiring the apron to lower to align with the new bonnet location. The net affect would appear to be the same mis-align at a lower level? The options are lengthening the outer wing, blend the apron to shorten it at the corner, or reduce the bonnet-to-apron/bonnet to scuttle gaps.

I don't think there is an easy fix...

John

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Keith that car looks beautiful. When the beading and the bumper are on, it will be very difficult to see because neither of those lines you are looking at will not be there, and if somebody does see it then it says more about them than the car. Having said all that, I had a shop add about an inch to one once because I mixed matched fenders. It is a common problem and I do think there were different dies used. If that was my car, I would leave it and be happy I had the original stuff.
steve

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm going to leave the fender and apron alignment the way it is. I have the same 1/4" alignment on both sides of the car. With all original panels on the front this must be the way it came new. Not perfect but what is. Steve thanks for the complement, I'm doing the best I can.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Good call.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
mallard said:
I'm going to leave the fender and apron alignment the way it is. I have the same 1/4" alignment on both sides of the car. With all original panels on the front this must be the way it came new. Not perfect but what is. Steve thanks for the complement, I'm doing the best I can.

Sounds OK to me - it would be more of a concern if this wasn't a know thing, if it were uneven, or was the cause of non-original parts.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Just cut a pie piece out of the bottom of the shroud with your die grinder's cut off wheel and tap up and reweld . You know you want to. 30 min. for both sides start to finish , tops. In for a penny , in for a pound remember !