• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine build...thanks Superwrench!!!

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Final pictures loading up my tricarb/toyota 5 speed from Superwrench's garage after a marathon 12 hour day!!!

DSC_00862.jpg

DSC_00872.jpg

Yipee!!!!

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:savewave: Sure looks fine. Who's paint did you use? What quantity? How did you treat exhaust manifold? Did you use a primer? As to the new exhaust, I was disappointed to see that the long stainless exit tubes after the muffler are approximately 1/4" smaller in diameter than my stock pipes. Thanx for your splendid photo gallery, I know it will come in handy as I put my tri-carb back together this spring. :cheers:

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi "Superwrench"

When I look at the second picture I see the engine looks great but in my imagination I see as well between the tree and the manifold the MG of your friend.

Harry

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Harry, We did enjoy your visit. Hope you can get to the states again soon ! Elrey, I use Rust-oleum 2000 degree primer on manifolds, but told Rich that the green will still burn off. :cheers:

OP
richberman

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Lin,
I can't wait to get it into the chassis. I saw your pictures and decided to put it in "BEFORE" installing any of the body panels or shrouds! I didn't think I could handle the stress of watching it hang over a freshly painted shroud.
Rich

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi superwrench. I know this may be a dumb question to all of you that know each other, however, did you do the engine build for him? I am asking because I see you are in York, PA and I am in Pylesville, MD (just south of the PA/MD line near Bel Air, York is about 45 minutes for me) and I am restoring a 59 BN4. I am finishing the final body work and will paint the scuttle when the weather warms. Anyhow, i am looking for a qualified engine builder since the AH is a little out of my knowledge. Most of my work (hobbyist) is on camaro's and mustangs. I posted some pics about a year ago of the stripped down shell after the chassis metal work was completed and it was being soda blasted. If you are interested or can give me a recommendation, it will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is a very helpful site and this engine looks great!

Regards,

Doug

Country flag
Can't help with an engine builder in your area, but if you can rebuild a Camaro or Mustang engine you can rebuild a Healey engine. They are butt simple--not unlike a Chevy stovebolt--and any decent machine/engine shop should be able to handle any block or head work you might need. If you had any specific questions or concerns on the rebuild you could post here and likely get plenty of useful tips and information.

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Bob! Maybe I will give it the ole college try. There is a local machinist that did the work on my 69 SS396 camaro engine and it worked out great. I think I may give him a call.

Cheers

Doug

Country flag
There's a shop in my folks' hometown of Modesto, CA that is a well-known racing smallblock builder. He's done machine work for both my BJ8 and our BN2--heads, mostly--and all work was top-notch. He has a New Zealander working for him my dad says is an absolute perfectionist.

Things to consider:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]whether to use iron or bronze valve guides (or both) [*]getting quality rod and main bearings [*]lightening the flywheel while you're at it?[*]install rear main seal? [*]send rocker arm out? (I would)[*]install spin-on oil filter adapter?[*]minor porting of head (arguably one of the best ways to get a little more HP)? [/list]

The list goes on ...

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Doug, I sent you a PM. I will help in any amount. There are a lot of good shops in our area. There is a ton of Knowledge here also to help you, Bob's list is a starter, Randy, Red 57, Rodger and the rest will chime in I'm sure. Good luck