• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Engine Re-Build Candidate?

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Just got my carbs, manny and linkage back from Jeff P. They look so good I am gonna have to rebuild the car around them.

Anyone have any thoughts on what vintage of engine to rebuild? I would like to find a scrapper to work on while keeping the current 73 driveable. Wife says can't take the 6 down while the Bugeye and 2 are in pieces. Thought she had me until I realized that I did not have to rebuild the engine that acutally is in the car.

I know there are differences in heads etc from early to late model but I have no clue which is the better rebuild candidate. I am assuming early due to less or no pollution control etc.

Help?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
This all has a far too familiar ring to it for me. I already have one wife mad at me, so I'm staying out of this one.

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Brosky said:
This all has a far too familiar ring to it for me. I already have one wife mad at me, so I'm staying out of this one.

Don't worry, this wife doesn't get mad. We have a deal, I buy stuff, when she finds out how much that same amount disappears out of the bank to her stash. Took me awhile to find out what happened the first time, spent most of a weekend trying to remember what I spent the missing money on :crazyeyes:...........finally she fessed up. Those are the rules, if I choose to play. What the heck, LBC's are cheaper than showing quarter horses.

Got back the aforementioned parts back, new and silvery shiney. Hmmm, 25th anniversary in a few days....what a great gift. Think she will like them? They are sorta silver. :thumbsup:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine is not really mad about the repairs and mods to the TR6, she's mad that I took her for a 100 mile break in run today and when it got cold, I didn't put the top up.

It's a good thing that the TR6 heaters work as well as they do......

elysium

TR6's have heaters in them??????? Brosky,if you ordered this day for your break-in I am gonna call you in a month or so to order up one for me. Trust everything was
as perfect as the weather?
Elysium

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The afternoon was just great until about 4pm, then the sun started hiding behind the clouds and the cold front moved in. Then it got a bit chilly for top down weather.

The car ran just fine. I'm the one having trouble holding my right foot back from the floor boards.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
erstearns said:
Just got my carbs, manny and linkage back from Jeff P. They look so good I am gonna have to rebuild the car around them.

Anyone have any thoughts on what vintage of engine to rebuild? I would like to find a scrapper to work on while keeping the current 73 driveable. Wife says can't take the 6 down while the Bugeye and 2 are in pieces. Thought she had me until I realized that I did not have to rebuild the engine that acutally is in the car.

I know there are differences in heads etc from early to late model but I have no clue which is the better rebuild candidate. I am assuming early due to less or no pollution control etc.

Help?
The TR250- '71 TR6 heads have 'narrow' inlet ports and will not accept the '73 intake manifold. So, any 72-76 engine is where you want to go, especially if you plan on a cam upgrade and head work. Also, the later heads have better flow characteristics.

For what it is worth, I am running a TR250 engine and intake manifold in a 73 TR6. The engine is stock. I plan to rebuild and slightly modify the original '73 engine as my off frame project nears completion.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Brosky said:
The car ran just fine. I'm the one having trouble holding my right foot back from the floor boards.
Had my car out on the weekend getting the new cam/lifters broke in. I too had a heck of a time keeping below 3K on the tach; I confess to a quick blip up to 4K at one point; sure like the new found power.
My son was with me and commented that at idle it sounds like a Harley now with the higher compression; very throaty.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]My son was with me and commented that at idle it sounds like a Harley now with the higher compression; very throaty.[/QUOTE]

Graham, that's a very good analogy.

I got the OK today for a quick occasional blip up to 5K, but not to make a habit of it for the next 300 miles.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Some thoughts about the TR6 rebuild:

1)May as well skim the head for compression, you probably have to machine it flat anyway, not much extra to take a little more off.
2) Change to hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel, you will likely be changing them anyway.
3) Later exhaust manifold is considered better than earlier.
4) Rod out the scale from the coolant passages in the block, or better, have it "pickled" in a caustic solution to dissolve the stuff.
5) Have the head checked for cracks, especially the bridge between the valves, before spending money on rebuilding it.
6) Gently remove material shrouding the intake valve with a dremel or grinding stone in a drill.

Not sure if this was the sort of thing you were looking for, sorry if it is too obvious to need stating!
Simon.

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Simon, all advice is usefull and wanted. I was not sure if there was any preference as to year when looking for a rebuild candidate. Simple method would be to pull and rebuild existing but I thought it worthwhile to keep an eye out for another candidate while I am searching for parts for the TR2 and Bugeye. I know there are differences in head configuration etc and can find out what years match my 73 but did not know if there would be any overriding preference for a particular vintage if I had a choice. Thanks for the reply.

Eric