• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electric radiator fan

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This may be a little stupid but I just got a radiator fan and want to just hook it up to a toggle switch to turn it on manually while driving and when I shut off the car it didn't come with any directions can't find anything on youtube ,there are 2 wires one is black I presume is ground and the other one is blue I guess that's power any help is appreciated

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Black to ground then take blue wire run to a switch take other switch connection place an in line fuse then to power .

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Ralph,

Although I had and eliminated an electric fan a while back, I installed a switch under the dash that interrupted the ground and connected the positive to a fused shared hot line coming from my alternator. I did have a temperature sensor that cut the ground once the radiator temperature fell below that specified so could run after the car was turned off.

When mounting my fan, I attached the unit to the cross braces as many other recommended. However, as found by others, this positioning blocks the flow of air when under way and resulted running hotter then without the fan. I also have a TR7 that I eliminated the air conditioning and resurrected the use of the cabin vents. I later eliminated the engine fan and now depend upon the 2 small retained, radiator-sensor activated, auxiliary air conditioner electric fans mounted low and at an angle to the radiator. My experience with this set-up is quite good and the car runs at normal operating temperatures on the hottest day in traffic and the fan do not block radiator air flow when underway.

Although I guess it would be difficult to mount a single larger fan low and at an angle to the radiator out of the driving air stream, I thought I would extend the idea as it works quite good.

One last point; the TR7 has a sealed radiator bulkhead so hot air recirculation when the car is stopped is not an issue as I believe it is on the Healey with its porous radiator bulkhead and drawing fan. However, a forward mounted electric fan could help mitigate this issue of hot air recirculation if the electric fan's air stream pushes forward-escaping hot air back or to the side and diminishes it recirculation through the radiator.

Just some thoughts,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ralph,

Depending on the fan, it might be a little more complicated than blue to power and black to ground. Some fans are designed as pushers, others pullers and some are reversible and will work both ways depending how the fan blade is attached to the motor shaft. Make sure that if you connect the blue to power and black to ground the fan is going to direct the air in the direction you want it to go.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ralph,

Depending on the fan, it might be a little more complicated than blue to power and black to ground. Some fans are designed as pushers, others pullers and some are reversible and will work both ways depending how the fan blade is attached to the motor shaft. Make sure that if you connect the blue to power and black to ground the fan is going to direct the air in the direction you want it to go.

This is correct, but it will also depend on whether your car is positive or negative ground. What brand of fan do you have? I recently installed a Hayden fan and could offer some more specific advice if you have a Hayden fan.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There is an electric fan thermostat that can be wired in so you do not have to remember to turn it on or off. Can be by-passed for instant on. Have used this for years as you can set temperature of when you want it to come on. You can hear it so it affords a peace of mind, so you remember you would have forgotten to turn on and it did it by itself.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I agree with Rick and Keith that the fan is most likely reversible. You will have to hook it up to see if it is pulling air or pushing. Sometimes it is best to study the blades and notice which way of rotation will make it push or pull because while running the air flow can be hard to tell the difference. Set it all up on the car but leave the black and blue wires the last to hook up. Then try it either way to see if the direction of rotation is correct (push if in front of the radiator and pull if behind). The good news is you can't damage the fan by hooking it up wrong, it just will spin the wrong way.
Jim

Country flag
Keith, did you install to push or pull?

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
Hi Ralph,

I later eliminated the engine fan and now depend upon the 2 small retained, radiator-sensor activated, auxiliary air conditioner electric fans mounted low and at an angle to the radiator. My experience with this set-up is quite good and the car runs at normal operating temperatures on the hottest day in traffic and the fan do not block radiator air flow when underway.

Although I guess it would be difficult to mount a single larger fan low and at an angle to the radiator out of the driving air stream, I thought I would extend the idea as it works quite good.

Just some thoughts,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Do you have a pic of how these fans are mounted?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith, did you install to push or pull?

Hi Larry,
I installed it as a pusher; there's not really room to install it as a puller without removing the engine fan. I put the switch on a small mounting plate that I installed under the dash. The mounting plate is attached using an existing nut and bolt under there, so I didn't have to drill any holes or otherwise change the car. The whole thing is removable with no trace.

It doesn't seem to affect my cooling while moving fast (at least not much), but it really helps with in-town driving.

Last edited:

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The Fans draw a significant amount of amps. I installed a relay in my setup.