• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Electric Fan help needed for TR6

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I am adding an electric fan, doing away with the yellow fan on my 71 TR6, I have the fan mounted to the Radiator as a puller, my question is their are 2 types of sensors to turn the fan on, one that appears to go in the cooling system somewhere and one that has a probe that sticks in the radiator fins, anyone have a suggestion as which one is better?
Since I have webers I dont have a heated intake manifold and I could use that port for the sensor that goes into the head, however most probes are 3/8 NPT and I am sure that port is not a NPT thread, I could rethread it, I put an aluminum water pump housing on the engine too so taping AL is much easier
Hondo

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
From my own experience with the probe mounted in the radiator fins on my resto-modded '55 F100, the fan didn't come on early enough. The engine water temperature would get higher than I liked before the probe turned the fan on. Then the fan ran longer than I thought necessary to bring the temp back in line. Since this only was a problem sitting in traffic, I added a dash mounted toggle switch which allows me to turn the fan on as soon as I see the temps start to creep - getting a jump on the rising temp before it's a concern. It's become automatic for me to glance at the gauge - then hit the switch.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The 2 TR6's I've owned had the sensor in different locations, neither seemed better than the other.
One was in a bung on the top right of the radiator; the other in a bung in the lower metal radiator pipe.
I'd think the fin mounted one would be under a lot of influence of the ambient temperature as opposed to totally influenced by the coolant temperature.
A cockpit mounted override switch is also a good idea, like Jay said, if you anticipate traffic conjestion, get a head start on the cooling process.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a fan mounted as a pusher, and a probe through the radiator fins on my 74 TR6 (at the top near the hose). I did not remove the red plastic fan. The engine temperature is of concern only when in stop-n-go traffic, when it's hot. The temperature does rise before it turns on, and it does seem to run a long time before shutting it off, but since it's hot, I don't think it's such a bad idea. It doesn't overheat, or come close, and that's all I'm worried about.

I know there are some probes available that allow you to select the on/off point, but I'm happy with mine the way it is. If the ambient temperature is below 90, the electric fan does not come on -but I've never tried to qualify exactly how hot it needs to be before it does comes on.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine is a 185 sensor located in the top of the radiator. That works fine for me.