• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Clutch Master Cylinder - The little things can be

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unlike many of you, I am a novice at car repair. Everything I try is the first time for me. Today, with some direction from a couple of friends, I replaced the clutch master cylinder in my '64 MGB....and it works. I'm always amazed when it works.

Now under my belt is this project, water pump replacement, SU jet replacement on the front carb, seat reupholstery, carpet replacement, interior panel replacement, shock absorber replacement, fuel pump replacement, and a few other minor projects.

Next project.....getting that distributor out, sent off for a rebuild, and back in with all that comes with it.

Attachments

• 18825.jpg
    18825.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 267

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You're getting better & better....pulling distributor is easier than some of the jobs you've already accomplished.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you need any help pulling the distributor, just ask....somebody will walk you through it.....think it's 1 7/16" nut to loosen

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
An offset 7/16" twelve-point box-end and th' thing's in yer paw in a minnit. :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& to whom do you plan on sending it for rebuild?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

GOOD!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, he might not know about Jeff.

OP
Shinsen774

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I know all about Jeff....a few days in the on-line MGB community and one learns all about Jeff as well as Peter Caldwell, Tony Barnhill, Joe Cuerto, etc. You guys are legends!!!!!

Getting the distributor out doesn't concern me too much. Getting it back in, right, hooked up, and timed, seems more daunting.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't touch the engine after you pull the distributor.....replace the distributor exactly as it came out & you'll be close to timing.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I would put the timing mark on the crank pulley to 10 degrees before Top dead center. Then remove the distributor cap and take a picture of the distributor.When reinstalling the distributor make sure the rotor is pointing in the same direction. Every once in a while a distributor or drive gear is incorrectly put together and after a rebuild by Jeff it will probably be correct. It only goes in one way with a offset slot. If the rotor is not pointing the same way then you have a bit more messing around to get it going again. Now back on track...With the timing marks at 10BTDC install the distributor so it looks like your pic. Then turn the distributor counter clockwise til the points are closed. Now turn it clockwise till the points are just starting to crack open. At this point just SNUG it up and be sure the rotor is back on and the cap reinstalled. Start it and check the timing with a timing light. If you do not have a timing light we can get you thru timing it with a test light. This is a process you can handle! The part about the distributor or drive gear being incorrect are slim but something to watch for. Also i would send the clamp with the distributor for rebuild. Some people over the years have overtightened the clamp and its no longer round. (plus overtightening it can break the distributor base!) I would guess that Jeff would make the hole round again if required. Bob

MGZT260

Jedi Hopeful
Memory's a litte fuzzy but last time I pulled and replaced a dizzy it could only go in either correct or 180 off. Some vehicles (GM mostly) can only go in one way, while others have no index on gear.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
MGBs only go in one way. There is a offset drive dog. BUT the drive dog on the distributor could be installed 180 out or if the distributor was taken apart the internals could be installed 180 out(as I recall). Since Shinsen is looking to do this for the first time I thought I would address all the pitfalls I could think of. I do not like to type but like to put all the info I can onto one post so it can be printed and taken out to the car while the work is being performed. I hope this info helps. Bob

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Re: Clutch Master Cylinder - The little things can

Shinsen, when you talk to Jeff, give him a clue as to what type of driving you'll be doing and he'll set the dizzy up for that condition. After having him rebuild mine on the 72 and then I had Hap rebuild the carbs, the engine runs like new. Oh yeah and 30 MPG in OD. PJ

OP
Shinsen774

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Clutch Master Cylinder - The little things can

Great tips. Thanks to everyone.