• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Changing from 4 speed to Overdrive on a TR4

rnpennington

Country flag
I've read several threads about people with OD of the A-Type vs a Toyota Conversion. However, mine does NOT have OD, but I want it for touring.

What are the thoughts about going with an A-Type from Quantum Mechanics vs the Toyota 5 speed. Cost for both is about the same. Mine is not a concours car, nor will it ever be, but I use it as a driver all the time. My concern is going long distances - especially highway's - with just the 4 speed. It seems the reduced rev's either way will be a good thing for the car.

Let the opinions begin!

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bob, it's a more or less straight swop, with a added relay, wiring harness and switch on the column. The other has good reviews also, but not plug and play. Just me, but I would stay with Triumph parts. I'm putting in a "A" type in my TR6, a get round to it sort of thing.

Wayne

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd have to say that the 5 speed conversion is probably more reliable, in the long run. But my preference runs strongly to the Laycock OD. Period correct and uniquely British (American overdrives were much different to drive as they lacked the electric controls and hydraulic clutches). Plus the extra gears add significant flexibility when driving twisty mountain roads (tho I guess you don't get too many of those around Houston :smile: ).

Here's an old ad that I like. Written for a Healey, so some of the details are different, but right on the money as far as the OD experience.

LaycockODkicklikeamuleBW.jpg~original

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Mines a driver that I added an A Type and enjoy it very much. Defiantly worth the work and expense for the enhanced driving experience for me. I just can't see putting anything Japanese in the car except maybe a bento box to go.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Bob - I did that exact swap about 9 years ago using an overdrive from John E at Quantumechanics. It has been totally reliable and trouble-free for the 30,000 or so miles since.

Installation was just a straight-forward wrassling of out with the old and in with the new, John provided everything including the relay and steering column stalk switch. He also sent a plastic nacelle with a hole for that switch but I preferred to keep the orginal (metal) so I made the needed D shaped hole in it.

As Randall notes, in mountain driving the 3rd OD is often just the right gear for a twisty uphill road.

Plus (as I've mentioned before) which would you rather say... 'Toyota' or 'Laycock d'Normanville'?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Another vote here for overdrive. I upgraded my first TR4A to an A-type overdrive when I restored it and loved it.

Scott

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have two TR4's with Toyota trannies because I could not locate a OD tranny for them. My current project has a OD tranny waiting for it. That said I do like the "quiet" Toyota trannies compared to the TR trannies.
Charley

OP
R

rnpennington

Country flag
How difficult was it to run the OD wires up the steering column? Any hints would be useful, as I will be making the change in about 2 weeks

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bob, you will be running them down the sleeve. Just loosen the bolts that hold the column after taking off the steering wheel, use a stiff wire, (cloth hanger), stagger the bullet connectors and tape it to the wire, shove down.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I do not recall having to remove the steering wheel for the OD wiring and switch (but it has been 8 or 9 years ago). The TR4 has that metal 'dagger' that comes off and the wires run through it. Of course the two halves of the nacelle are removed to get at the insides & the switch mounts to the right hand one.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Geo, You are right, the wheel can remain on, but much easier to go right down the column. Pull the wires through the echelon and hole in the column then run them down. I have replaced a few light and signal switches and it was just easier to get to the bottom of the column.

Plus the steering wheel is in the way every way you try to shove the wires. Oh, clean the horn ground and lub with dielectric while in there.

Wayne

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One more thing to think about when removing the steering wheel. Use some type of marker to mark the position of the wheel on the shaft. If you don't do this before you remove the wheel you are not likely to get the wheel back on the shaft in the same position. That means that your wheel will be in the wrong alignment for your front end. Or the wheel will not be in the straight ahead position when you are going straight ahead. Just one of those "Oh why didn't I think of that when I took it apart!!" things.
Charley

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good one Charley, now the why didn't I think about that. Bob, just take the wheel off before you start, much easier to get to or remove all the stuff to get that sucker in and out, (tranny bolts, tunnel, and dash support.
Better add, wrap a towel around the end of the shaft, don't ask, just do it. LOL
Wayne

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On a TR4 it is very simple to pull the wheel with the shaft by just undoing the clamp in the engine compartment. Position is preserved as the big nut is left in place. Perhaps this is an alternative. I usually do this by removing to two bolts on the clamp and not disturbing the set-screw / lock nut.

Also - on a TR4 I find it easier to get the gearbox out & in through the (LUD) drivers side provided you have the steering wheel out of the way - due to the handbrake being on the (LHD) passenger side of the tunnel.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Geo, well now that we have Bob convinced it's a piece of cake, he should just jump right in there. Couple little things, it's heavy as ****, if you are changing the clutch, get an alignment tool and clean the threads on the bottom tunnel support caged nuts with a tap if you have one.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Even better than an alignment tool is (if you can find one to borrow) an old input shaft.

InputShaft_zpsa674af1c.jpg

Some of the alignment tools sold are undersize and inexact, a spare input shaft is, of course, perfect.

Yeah, it's a bit heavy. I recall once seeing an adaptor someone made to enable the use of an engine hoist to dangle the gearbox into place. The trick was getting the center of gravity (which is pretty far forward) just right.

OP
R

rnpennington

Country flag
I'm sure its a piece of cake like everything else Should take one hour, allow for two and it takes four!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm sure its a piece of cake like everything else Should take one hour, allow for two and it takes four!
Oh but the joy of it all. Just think you got to spend four hours fiddling with your Triumph rather than the short hour after which you might have to do something a lot less fun-- like mowing the lawn.
Charley