• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Changing bulbs in gauges

ahfan

Country flag
"74 TR^ - just installed LED bulbs in the speedo and tach and what a huge difference! But what a pain in the butt. I'm going to do the 4 other gauges tomorrow but wondering if anyone has any easier way to change those bulbs...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"74 TR^ - just installed LED bulbs in the speedo and tach and what a huge difference! But what a pain in the butt. I'm going to do the 4 other gauges tomorrow but wondering if anyone has any easier way to change those bulbs...
I changed all the gauge bulbs in my ‘73 TR6 and yes, it makes a big difference.
I found the best way was to remove the dash ashtray to gain access to the back of the gauges. I also used a needle nose pliers as needed. Hope this helps.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hadn't thought of that! Can you get all of them or just the top 2?
It’s been a while since I did mine but yes, you should be able to get to all gauges.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, and let me say I struggled with gaining access to the bulbs on the small gauges. It was poolboy (Ken) that told me about removing the ashtray…. He’s the guy to “thank”.

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
Thanks. Can't use the kids. I rent them to NIKE to make shoes in Thailand. Hey, don't judge, it helps pay for my crazy British car fetish.
'67 Austin Healey BJ8, '59 Austin Healey 100-6, '54 MGTF, '66 XKE, '74 TR6 and the prize '53 XK120 DHC. I'm in therapy.

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
Oh, and let me say I struggled with gaining access to the bulbs on the small gauges. It was poolboy (Ken) that told me about removing the ashtray…. He’s the guy to “thank”.
Big problem!! I am working on the small gauges and took out the center console to get better access and had to take out the choke cable, etc and what a pain. Taking out the ashtray really isn't working because the windshield is in the way. Anyway, in trying to unscrew the bulb from the ammeter gauge the hot lead wire (red) pulled out! No way to fix it and MOSS only sells the eared type holders, not the screw type for the bulbs I have or what was in there. Would you happen to know where I can find them? Would poolboy maybe know?

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
Big problem!! I am working on the small gauges and took out the center console to get better access and had to take out the choke cable, etc and what a pain. Taking out the ashtray really isn't working because the windshield is in the way. Anyway, in trying to unscrew the bulb from the ammeter gauge the hot lead wire (red) pulled out! No way to fix it and MOSS only sells the eared type holders, not the screw type for the bulbs I have or what was in there. Would you happen to know where I can find them? Would poolboy maybe know?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You might try Rimmer Brothers to see if they have one.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Not that it matters regarding the bulb, but a 74 shouldn't have an ammeter. I think from 73 on the ammeter was replaced with voltmeters.
And if not Rimmers (or TRF) this may work and you may not need to use the black ground wire on this holder if the bulb holder grounds on the case.

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
You might try Rimmer Brothers to see if they have one.

Not that it matters regarding the bulb, but a 74 shouldn't have an ammeter. I think from 73 on the ammeter was replaced with voltmeters.
And if not Rimmers (or TRF) this may work and you may not need to use the black ground wire on this holder if the bulb holder grounds on the case.
You are correct, I misspoke, it is indeed a voltmeter. Thanks, and I did check the Rimmers website but it is confusing as the holder description doesn't seem to be the correct one. Glad to get a response from you as you are certainly held out to be the go-to guy for info on this car. If you happen to know which one on their site I need please let me know., Thanks again!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
It's the one in the link I posted..It says for Smiths Speedo,. Check the hole opening in the specs and see how it compares with the one for the Lucas voltmeter ...

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
It's the one in the link I posted..It says for Smiths Speedo,. Check the hole opening in the specs and see how it compares with the one for the Lucas voltmeter ...
Thanks but that is the style that goes in the speedo and tach. I need the one without the little claws that goes into the small gauges. Can't find it anywhere. Here's a pic - the bulbs were sent by an LED guy. The receptacle is the one I need...

Attachments

• 20230209_124525.jpg
    20230209_124525.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 69

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks but that is the style that goes in the speedo and tach. I need the one without the little claws that goes into the small gauges. Can't find it anywhere. Here's a pic - the bulbs were sent by an LED guy. The receptacle is the one I need...
It should be an easy fix to solder a new wire onto the center post of the original receptacle.

Last edited:

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I saw that and called MOSS tech support and they said it will not work for screw in bulbs.
The picture you posted shows an LED bulb with a bayonet base. not the Edison (aka screw) base.
The bulb holder from Moss is also for a bayonet base bulb is it not ?

OP
A

ahfan

Country flag
The picture you posted shows an LED bulb with a bayonet base. not the Edison (aka screw) base.
The bulb holder from Moss is also for a bayonet base bulb is it not ?
No, no, the 2 bulbs in the picture are NOT for the instruments, they are for the plinth, except the large one was sent by mistake. That is a picture I sent to the LED guy to see if HE had a socket. All of my LED's, like the original bulbs are screw types. Believe me I have talked to MOSS, coventry, Rimmers, SNG Barrett, Northwest, and several others in search of this socket. It MUST be out there somewhere.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, no, the 2 bulbs in the picture are NOT for the instruments, they are for the plinth, except the large one was sent by mistake. That is a picture I sent to the LED guy to see if HE had a socket. All of my LED's, like the original bulbs are screw types. Believe me I have talked to MOSS, coventry, Rimmers, SNG Barrett, Northwest, and several others in search of this socket. It MUST be out there somewhere.
So why not just repair the receptacle that you have?