• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Changing fluids

T

Tinster

Julian's rear brake thread reminded me I need a maintenance
schedule of sorts.

How often should brake and clutch fluids be removed and new
installed? My brake fluid is now one year old and turning a
dark color. The clutch fluid is still clear. I have almost
1300 miles use on the fluids. (without any breakdowns! )

thanks,

d

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi there Dale,

Personally I never had to change either, "EVER", unless you encounter some sort of problem like soft brake pressure or very low clutch. Even at that point it typically only requires a top-up.

Russ

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Dale: Yes. I agree that generally this is a top up only issue unless you feel that for some reason the fluid is contaminated. :iagree:

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
You are in a humid climate and I guess you might even get caught out in a rain. Because of the high humidity, I would change the fluids, both clutch and brakes, ideally on an annual basis and not longer than 2 years. In low humidity areas I would not be as concerned.

OP
T

Tinster

I am wondering why my brakefluid is becoming darker in color
than the clutch fluid. I am using DOT 3.

d

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Dale,
I like to change brake fluid about every three or four years. The reason for this is that it absorbs moisture from the air, which will lower the boiling point of the fluid and cause corrosion within wheel cylinders.
I use silicone fluid in the TR and have not touched it since I installed it in 1997.
The discolouration can be caused by the deterioration of the rubber seals, but that would show as a grey colour. Otherwise brake fluid does seem to darken with age, but I am not sure why. Maybe it is related to the heat of the brakes.
If in doubt, it is easy enough to bleed new fluid through the system.
Nick

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have used silicone brake fluid for the clutch and the brakes in my TR3A since 1990. There is only one reservoir that supplies both. I only added fluid since I filled it in 1988. Since I got the car on the road again in 1990, I have driven 98,000 miles. With silicone fluid, I don't have to worry about any paint peeling when it leaks and it won't absorb humidity, so I don't need to drain and change it. The lubricating properties of silicone means that the cylinders will never rust or become jammed.

My fluid turned black. I don't worry about that. When I had some work to do, I drained out some and let it sit. After about a month in a jam jar, the sediment had collected at the bottom and the brake fluid was purple again. I l;ater re-used this purple fluid. I don't know why it turns black. It might be carbon or something from the black rubber seals in the master cylinder ? Some TR6 owners have reported that their fluid turns clear. Some suggest it's because the brake reservoir on the TR6 is translucent plastic and the light gets in and changes the fluid from purple to clear. My reservoir in a closed can, except for a tiny breater hole in the top of the fill cap.

Attachments

• 10352.jpg
    10352.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 334

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The brake fluid is changing color because it gets hot in normal usage. The clutch fluid doesn't heat up so it will remain basically clear.
Perfectly normal behavior. In your humid environment, I would change the fluid about every 2 years.
The fluid absorbs moisture and this lowers the boiling point so eventually the brakes become less resistant to fading. Secondly when they accumulate enough moisture the possibility of corrosion increases.

By the way, if your jeep has ABS, then you should be very careful about getting the brake fluid changed on time (2 years). The ABS controller will be damaged by dirty/fluid with high concentrations of moisture and the ABS controller is expensive (much more so than brake fluid )
Yisrael

OP
R

RonMacPherson

Hey Cuz,

Vettedog, has told you true. Industry standard for European and Japanese autos is to replace the brake fluid(Dot 3 or Dot 4) every 36 months or 30K miles under normal conditions. High humidity environments are NOT normal conditions. Then do it every two years or 20K miles.

Or just go to silicone brake fluid and don't worry about having to change the brake fluid ever again.

The American auto manufacturers are the only ones that do not recommend changing fluid on a timed schedule. MoPar says to never replace brake fuid. Guess who's master cylinders and rear wheel cylinders need replacement more than others? Chevrolet says to replace as needed. A lot of dealerships carry a little tool, a paper strip that changes color based on the conditoin of the fluid. It is dipped into the master cylinder reservoir when the car is brought in with high mileage.
Ford may have gone to a mileage schedule now, but I know a couple of years ago, they also were on a "as needed" change schedule.

MB, Jaguar, VW, Audi, Ferrari, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Fiat, Alfa, Maserati, Lotus, all have recommended mileage, time brake fluid schedule changes.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Dale,

The brake fluid question came up sometime ago relative to DOT 3, 4 or Silicon. Which is the Best??????

My Brit Guru Mech. always suggests and recommends DOT 4 (Takes more Heat than DOT 3, I guess)?

If your going to change to Silicon; Be sure to drain the complete system and don`t mix-match DOT 3 or anything with it.

Just a passing thought,

Russ

OP
T

Tinster

OK- Thanks for the advice.

Now, how do I flush the DOT 3 out of the lines?

Also, where do go to look for Silicone brake fluid?
Our Western Auto store does not carry it- I looked.

thanks,

d

martin_burtt

OP
T

Tinster

Thanks a bunch Martin, you saved me a major headache.
My brake system was rebuilt 12 months ago; so it
appears the change in color is not an issue.

thanks again,

dale

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My original brake fluid was in my TR6 from 1974 until 1989, when I changed the master cylinder and replaced nearly all of it. It remained there until last November when I replaced every part of the hydraulic systems and switched to silicone fluid.

BUT...the car only has 54,000 miles on it.