• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake shoes dis-bonded

Barefoot

Country flag
67 degrees and sunny when I got home from work, so I fired up the BJ-8, and backed it out of the garage. As I touched the brakes, the RR locked, then didn't want to roll very easily.

I pulled the wheel hub and brake drum, and the shoe linings fell to the floor.

Anything else I should do while I'm changing the shoes? (Other than back off the adjuster?)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have a beer, and thank someone that it did not happen on the interstate.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

I pulled the wheel hub and brake drum, and the shoe linings fell to the floor.

Anything else I should do while I'm changing the shoes? (Other than back off the adjuster?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!, remove both brake drums and the shoes, send them out and have rivited lining installed and the drums arched to fit.---Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]

Yes!, remove both brake drums and the shoes, send them out and have rivited lining installed and the drums arched to fit.---Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hard time finding anyone to do the riveted linings. Did find someone who glued on new linings and arced the shoes to the proper thickness (I don't think Keoke meant to say arch the drums!). At the time none of the usual suppliers had the brake shoes in stock but since then I saw British Parts Northwest had them. Could be the usual suppliers have them in stock again. Maybe Keoke will tell us his riveted shoe source /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, I used Peters Marina Motors source to do mine They use use american lining .Additionally, there is "Udercar Parts" here that also send them out and get them done. I do not know who either of them use but both source were very good.-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif--Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
My BN2 has drums on all four corners & needs all the help it can get. I recently got a full set of used brake shoes & sent them to Porterfield to be lined with their R4S carbon-Kevlar compound. This car requires a somewhat thinner than normal lining of about 0.175". Porterfield told me that it would not be a problem & they would bond plus rivet the linings. Then arc them to my 11.007" drum inside diameters. The drums themselves show no wear after 80,000 miles & are still round.
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/porterfieldckshoes.html
My old linings were so hard that they have shown NO wear in many thousands of miles. Takes a lot of pedal pressure to stop, though. We shall see how it goes.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well it sounds OK Dave and kelvar is one good material.I just wonder though if the bonding is required and if it won't contribute to brake squeal?. Perhaps the Kelvar has a higher thermal resistance than conventional brake pad materials and squeal is not a problem . Thanks for the tip John or I can drive there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hard time finding anyone to do the riveted linings. Did find someone who glued on new linings and arced the shoes to the proper thickness (I don't think Keoke meant to say arch the drums!). At the time none of the usual suppliers had the brake shoes in stock but since then I saw British Parts Northwest had them. Could be the usual suppliers have them in stock again. Maybe Keoke will tell us his riveted shoe source /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
John

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that fella at Porterfield said"Arching" so;--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif---Keoke