• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 62 TR4 dash question

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
You'll see both on ebay occassionally, I think the chrome center panel will be the most difficult to source. Are you sure you didn't have a black center panel? They show up a lot more.

Randy

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Larry,

As Randy said, keep an eye on eBay and check at local swap meets, etc. And, you might also email around to some of the usual folks with used parts, like Triumphs Only.

Do you have a Victoria British or Moss catalog that you could use to compile numbers of the parts you need? If so, let me know. I have their catalogs for reference and will check my stash of spares to see if I have any of the pieces you are missing.

Yes, I think on your relatively early TR4 (CT12xxx, right?) you might have the chrome gauge panel, but Randy's question is worth checking out. I'm not 100% certain where it was changd, but there was a black panel (actually textured vinyl over a stamped steel piece) substituted relatively early on. I imagine the chrome was pretty reflective to have on the dash like the early TR4 did!

The trim plate on the switch plinth is also chrome with a pattern stamped into it, matching the early chrome gauge panel. This part continued to be used in the same form for quite a while, even after the gauge panel was changed. This piece is a bit hard to find in good condition, but can be found (I might have a spare... I'll look).

The plinth itself came in a variety of forms. One reason was the optional wood dash, that became more and more common on later cars until it was finally standard equipment. Your early car would have a plinth like my '62 (CT17602L), which is some sort of fiberboard covered with a thin vinyl that's a close match with the dash top. Unfortunately, these fiberboard parts desintegrate with time and weather. No one is making replacements. The plastic plinths used on later cars are not the same and the new repros offered by some vendors follow those later patterns, and the TR4 version of even the repro is often unavailable, plus is sized for wood dash (so won't fit a painted dash).

I did finally pick up a used plastic replacement, which would have been used on a later TR4 with painted dash, off eBay that's very close to the original on my car and in very good condition. So keep looking!

You might also find something that will work and do the job, while you continue looking for the "correct" item, if that's your goal. And, there is always the alternative of having one made. A good fiberglass or moldable plastic version could be made by folks experienced in that sort of thing, but, done right it would likely be pricey as a one-off item.

There is a black-painted support bracket that goes behind the plinth, too. These come in at least two versions for TR4 (wood dash and painted dash), but I don't know about availability of used or repros. Since it's unseen and in good condition, I've been able to reuse the original on my car (might have a spare, too... I'll look).

All the switches are generally available used and some of them new. The choke cable is available new and there are good, new repros of most of the knobs (AFAIK, the only knob that's virtually impossible to find is the special one for the two-speed wiper motor option).

The windshield washer pump is one of the harder items to find, so pick one up whenever you get a change at a reasonable price. Also, the various size chromed switch retaining collars get beat up and can be difficult to find.

Let me know more details of what you have and what you need. I might be able to help a little.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
The chrome patterned trim plate on the plynth is available from Moss Motors.
Bob Muzio

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi again,

Ya got me curious so I just pulled out my copy of Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph" restorers guide and he states the chrome gauge panel was only used up to TR4 CT4398. After that, it's the black-finished version on all the painted dash cars.

He calls the black a "crackle finish", but I'd say it would be more accurately described as a thin vinyl-like layer applied somehow over a stamped piece of steel. It could be an actual sheet of very thin vinyl with leather-like texture that's been glued to the steel backing, or it might be a liquid or plastic coating that was then embossed with the leather-like texture. It's certainly not "wrinkle finish" paint like the dash support yoke and the radio bracket located below the switch plinth.

This might be good news - depending on the commission number of your car - since the later, black gauge panel is a lot easier to find than the early, chrome one.

Bob, thanks for the info on the plinth trim... it wasn't available the last time I looked. Glad to hear it is again.

Hope this helps!

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Alan, I believe they made it available last year. Every now and then you'll see in their British Motoring mag a "new product" that they hadn't available previously.
Bob

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi again Larry,

Hey! Just saw this on eBay.

There is also an ashtray, if you need one. Not sure if this is usable, though... based upon the description. It might be worth sending an email to ask about the "missing tabs". If they mean the ones on the bottom of the bakelite ashtray, I'm not sure if it can be repaired (*maybe* some epoxy could be used to rebuild the tabs). If they mean the retainer for the metal insert in the gauge panel, it appears to be there in the other auction.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
my 1962 tr4 ct8625 L has a black panel. i have a spare and a spare "dash support-goes from the floor up to the underside of dash". i will be selling these parts but not till i am in vancouver again.
rob