• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 Wooden Dash

T

TRDejaVu

I am fitting a "refreshed" wooden dash over my original white metal dash (actually covered with fake wood plastic covering by the PO back in the 70's).

Basic question:
Does the door latch lock around the metal dash tab that the metal door latch used, or is there a striker plate that should be attached to the back of the wooden dash? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
TRDejaVu, we have to have a talk.

I've been looking for my old TR4 for many years--the one with a fake wood dash and the 8-Track in the glove compartment (CSNY, 4-Way Street, Grand Funk Railroad).

I doubt yours is "mine," but let me try a few quick questions, please:

a) Was your car once blue (and before that, some kind of yellow)?

b) Any evidence the hood once had "hood lock pins" in each corner near the windshield?

c) Any evidence the car once had a roll bar?

d) Is the instrument plinth a custom one?

e) Does the bonnet have an old tack weld on the driver's side edge?

I've been told my good old TR likely went to the wrecking yard, and some think it belonged there, but I thought I'd at least ask. I have some amends to make.

thx

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Please see my prior post 'cause I really do want to know. There can't be all that many folks who'd glue formica onto anything but a kitchen counter.

As for your question, the wood door uses the same strike and latch plate on the top, and also uses the steel sliding door stop that attaches on the left. That top center strike plate is adjustable.

If your wooden dash and door are highly varnished, be careful with the screws that hold that slider/stop onto the back of the door. You should drill small tap holes into the back of the door for the little screws to avoid cracking the varnish finish.

That slider/stop fitting should be on your car. One was on Ebay just last week.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, the slider/stop part is different between the wood dash and metal dash. The metal dash one is a curved arrangement, the wood one straight.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Kentvillehound said:
d) Is the instrument plinth a custom one?

e) Does the bonnet have an old tack weld on the driver's side edge?...

f) Was there a set of Love Beads and a Mood Ring in the glove box (I'd like those back)?

g) Were there a couple of funny-looking cigarettes under the drivers seat (best to just throw those away)?

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Kentvillehound - sorry, but the answer is no to all of your questions.

Geo - no wacky baccy, but I do have flashbacks to when I had the same make, model, year and color car back in the day.

I obtained a straight slider/stop part recently, but haven't fitted it. When you mention that the striker plate is adjustable, it makes me think that I am missing a part; please see bottom picture.

Also, now I don't appear to have a way of preventing the ashtray from falling out as the original wire clip won't fit due to the thickness of the wood dash compared to the metal original.

Before (recently out of the barn):
TR419Dash.jpg

After (an old dash refreshed with Tung Oil):
DashWide.jpg

Glove box door cutout (I still have to re-finish the cutout surround):
GloveboxDoor.jpg

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was clearly taken by the moment. Sanity would have suggested a "PM". No one would consciously own up to what my questions imply. I recall shortly after hitting the "send" button, wondering how long it would be before you saw the post and reacted with shame or pity.

Please do note, though, that there was no mention of the architect of those lovely custom touches. I could be wanting to make amends for others!

One whose opinion I value once said, "There can't possibly be another TR4 with a fake wood dash."

I always figured he was right, but who knows. The '60's and early '70's were some strange years.

Don't forget, we've seen your picture sitting in that old TR back then. Reminds me of Jethro Tull.

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Dr Phil and Jerry Springer should combine to do a show "outing" people who have done questionable things to classic cars; even before they were classic cars, as there should be no statute of limitations. I think that Tinster would nominate Pedro as the first guest and dashboard molesters might be second.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
It would be quite an emotional experience there in front of the cameras, blubbering away like a gellatenous mass. Moving from one atocity to the next. Recalling all the hurt.

You are right. They weren't classic back then. A buddy of mine with a Chevelle SS would look at my car like it was a waste of space.

Somewhere, perhaps in some old junk yard, lies an old TR4 waiting for its formica mask to be torn from its face so it can rise again. The search continues . . .

Tomster

Jedi Knight
So how would these "TV outed" owners react?
My imagination leads me to the start of the brawl being investigated by name calling: "You are actually a closet MG owner!"

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Tomster said:
So how would these "TV outed" owners react?
My imagination leads me to the start of the brawl being investigated by name calling: "You are actually a closet MG owner!"
Steady on now, that is taking things too far. I don't think that we need to be hearing bad language like that. What's next, you secretly admire Reliant Robins?

Now back to the post. Has anyone got a picture showing the glove box setup and what the dimension on the lock assembly should be? I have 2 locks, but they both appear to be too short; I want to be sure before I buy one.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ian-

If my Alzheimer's doesn't kick in later I'll try to take a snapshot on my setup tonight and post it for you. I take it you need the depth or length of the lock, if so I can get that too.

Your pics look good by the way, nice work on the interior. I have a wood dash on my driver car, but on my TR4 project (if it ever does become a driver) I'm thinking of a spa white treatment again on the metal dash - don't have those nifty dome gauges like you do though.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Kentvillehound said:
Don't forget, we've seen your picture sitting in that old TR back then. Reminds me of Jethro Tull.

Said picture:

58%20TR3%20gh.JPG

I can easily imagine I had Aqualung playing on the 8-Track.

TR4 cubby box pictures forthcoming.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TRDejaVu said:
...When you mention that the striker plate is adjustable, it makes me think that I am missing a part...

The stiker plate on mine has oblong mounting holes allowing front-to-back adjustment:

Cubby5.JPG

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo-

Beautiful shots as always! Undoubtedly one of the best original cardboard gloveboxes you still have there - I have 3/4ths of one, the squirrels ate the remainder when the car sat for 10 years..

Randy

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
"the squirrels ate the remainder when the car sat for 10 years"

Randy, Ian, et al: Sorry for the HJ. But that reminds me of a funny story. When I worked in England back in 90-92, I developed a lasting friendship with one of our secretaries and her husband. We now see each other once a year (we take turns traveling across the pond). The first time she and her husband visited, we were pulling down the driveway when several grey squirrels dashed across the yard. Our friends shouted out, "Oh my! Look at those lovely squirrels". I was a little perplexed by that sudden expression of emotion considering how common they are in these parts, but respecting their love for all creatures great and small I never said anything. I have traveled East and West, North and South, John o' Groats to Lands End and I don't recall seeing many squirrels. I was aware that most of the old world forests were gone but, is there a shortage of these furry little ***tards in merry ole England? As far as I'm concerned they're nothing but rats with bushy tails. But, don't tell my mates I said that.
:devilgrin:

My favorite squirrel photos(do they really taste like chicken?)

squirrel2.jpg

squirrel.jpg

P.S. I am actually a very peaceful guy. I get very upset when I see an animal get injured or killed, but are these squirrels committing suicide???

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
angelfj said:
but are these squirrels committing suicide???
Nope. To be suicide, they would have to know that an invisible force is going to kill them if they touch those two wires at the same time.

Don't know about Merry Ole, but squirrels are certainly much less common around here than they were 20-25 years ago. So are rabbits. But the skunks, raccoons and opossums seem to have taken up the slack very well; perhaps they drove out the smaller varmints or are just better able to adapt to city life; feeding on garbage instead of the crops that aren't grown here any more.

OP
T

TRDejaVu

GloveboxDoor.jpg

Thanks Geo. It looks like the fixed striker plate on mine, that is actually part of the original metal dash, needs to be bent back so the adjustable striker can be fitted. Also the piece where your sliding stay is attached looks different to mine.

Your door lock looks similar to mine, but people have mentioned that a longer one is used for the wood dash.

Any comments on the ashtray question?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ian-

Just checked my cars and I have one like yours, and one like Geo's. I didn't realize those dashes were slightly different when the wood dash was fitted - hopefully you can still fit the check strap without too much trouble.

Another thing, the locks are the same, but the retaining brackets are different due to the thickness of the wood. You probably already saw that same issue with your gauges and the different length clamps.

IMG_2048.jpg

And I wasn't kidding about the squirrels, they screwed an otherwise reasonably nice glovebox - you can still see the remnants of where they chewed up the original bill of sale (I have half of it).
IMG_2047.jpg

Randy