• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Dash Support Bracket for TR4

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I recently purchased the dash bracket plate to attache my dash support bracket on my TR4 from the floor to the under side of the dashboard. Well, to my surprise, the top of the dash support bracket doesn't come anywhere close to lining up with the bottom holes in the new dash support bracket. I thought I had seen some pics of TR4s with the dash support bracket going all the way up to the bottom of the dashboard. This one won't reach all the way up to the bottom of the dash.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Obviously there are ways to fix this with a saw, but I want to make sure I'm not over looking something.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not knowing what they look like,... any chance you got a 6 version by mistake?

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I verified that the new dash panel is for a TR4. As far as the dashsupport bracket, the one in the TR6/250/4A are all the same, with the radio cut out integrated with the whole thing. So I'm pretty sure I've got a TR4 panel and a TR4 bracket.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
url]

So your talking #20

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
Actually no, it's the filler plate that goes in between the bottom of the dashboard and the top of the support bracket if you don't have a radio, which I don't. It goes in the place of the radio panel.

Attachments

• 25214.png
    25214.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 394

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh that plate. The radio blanking plate is different on the 6

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure what could go wrong. Here's a photo if it is of any help:

wood-dash.jpg

How much too short is the combination of the support and the radio/filler plate? i.e. how big a gap is left when it is all in place?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Doug- can you take some pics of your setup, or measurements say from the floor mounting bolt to the bottom of the dash? My car is like Geo's, there was an early/late style blanking plate but I don't think the dimensions really changed.

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
Sorry, I was gonna get some pics last night, but life got in the way.

So there isn't a space between the 2 pieces, it's more that there isn't enough space. The support bracket that bolts to the floorboard is too tall, OR, the new radio blanking plate is to tall and the bottom of it comes down way past the bolt holes in the support bracket.

I'm pretty sure, I've got the right blanking plate, they seem to all be the same one from the major parts guys. But maybe there is something obvious to my betters i'm missing. I'll send some pics tonight.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Doug, I recently had my TR4 apart in that area and the holes in the support that straddles the trans housing were elongated so that bolt holes would align with the radio blanking plate. The radio plate is placed in front of the the support so that was hidden. In my case it is a very tight fit, there is no gap at all between the support, the plate, and the dash.
Bob

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
As I recall mine was a tight fit. Had to assemble the radio/blanking plate to the supprt bracket then force the whole thing under th dash. IOW, if I had left the connection (2 bolts) between the plate and the support for last it never would have worked.

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
Finally got around to getting a pic posted of what my radio blanking plate looks like when I try to mount it to the dash support bracket. I know it's supposed to be a tight fit, but I don't know how I'd ever shoe horn this in there.

5861811525_1edbdeeedb.jpg
[/url]
Dash by doug_hairfield, on Flickr]Dash Support[/url]

Celtic2

The distance from the top flat to the centerline of the bottom holes should be 3.125" for this bracket.

There were at least 3 versions of this bracket for the TR4, and possibly as many as five. All except for the possible very, very early (1961)version would have the same dimension.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Shouldn't that top bend be a right angle? That's how it is on mine (original but with a radio cut-out) -- or maybe it is, hard to see in the photo.

Also, on mine the bottom flange is a double-bend though the flange ends up vertical for attachment to the support.

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
That top bend is at a right angle, I think it's just hard to see from the picture. I'll grab some measurements tomorrow, I just thought all the dash brackets were the same height, guess not.