• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dash support/console crinkle respray

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Tried some of the Krylon black wrinkle finish on one of the two dash supports I have, after stripping off the old covering and priming with Rustoleum primer. What do you think?

2105630391_c93b2044c3.jpg

2106407186_044121e04b.jpg

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for posting those pix.... I've been think of doing that very thing to my tatty support, and I think I will. It looks pretty good!

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks guys ... it's obviously second best to the real thing, but I think it will do nicely, especially once it is de-nuded by the gear stick, knobs and radio etc.

G

Looks good, Julian. I have often wondered what one of these units would look like stripped to the bare metal and sent off to a professional polisher, kinda like a mag wheel would look like. Something to consider as well.

Gordo

Jedi Hopeful
I think it looks great. I really want to compliment you on your application of that stuff. I don't know how many cans of it I've gone through and frankly, mine always turn out terrible.

Gordo

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Looks good, Julian. I have often wondered what one of these units would look like stripped to the bare metal and sent off to a professional polisher, kinda like a mag wheel would look like. Something to consider as well.

For years mine was bare aluminum before I even knew it was supposed to be covered!

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Gordo said:
I think it looks great. I really want to compliment you on your application of that stuff. I don't know how many cans of it I've gone through and frankly, mine always turn out terrible.

Gordo

First I cleaned the bare metal with the POR15 marine clean and the rust prep products, then I painted a coat of Rustoleum primer on. When that was dry, I wiped down with mineral spirits. Then I followed the instructions on the wrinkle finish can to the letter. I was working outside, at a temperature of about 65F, sprayed on a fairly thick coat, waited five minutes, sprayed another, waited another five minutes, and sprayed a final coat. The wrinkles started to appear after the second coat, and on the third coat I made sure to apply more paint in the areas that didn't appear to be wrinkling as much.

My impression is that the key to success is getting sufficient paint onto the surface.

T

Tinster

Julian,

Excellent refurbish, mate. I really think it looks wonderful. Good job on you.

Mine also was a bit buggered up with DPO duct tape and black
spray paint to hide the mess. I decided to powder coat mine
gun barrel black. Way too much $$ to have a replacement
shipped here.

Bill, like Julian , I stripped it down to bare metal and
used a bench grinder, electric sander, fine grit and really
polished it. Looked nice OUTSIDE the car. Looked terrible
inside the car dry fitted. I powdered it.

Here's mine installed: with a tip-of-the-hat to Frank A
for the splendid brass name plate.

DashSupport.jpg
[/img]

Bugeye58

Yoda
I just bought a recovering kit for the center support on my GT6, from Park Lane Classics. I think I'll do the spare in wrinkle finish, (probably powder coat), and then use whichever turns out the best.
Thanks for sharing, Julian.
Jeff

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
That looks really good. Powder coating is often used but your paint result is so excellent I am inspired (my TR3 center panel could use a re-do).

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I used Krylon black wrinkle pait on the dash of my 67 Spit and it was great. I think that it looked better than the orig.

TRrat

Freshman Member
Country flag
Julian, that looks great. And to think, all those years I struggled to keep the vinyl looking good on the '6 with all sorts of band aids... contact cement, vinyl patches, and god know what else /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

A little tip I picked up over years of using wrinkle finish paint - just used it recently for the '3A's center dash panel. I cleaned and did a light sanding on the panel (no primer though...) then heated the panel in the oven. Just put it on 'low', poked the panel in there and heated it for 5-10 minutes. Took it out (with oven mitts ...good thing I'm still single) took it right to my 'paint booth' (newspaper on the floor) and shot it with well shaken krylon wrinkle paint. Works like a charm - the wrinkles appeared almost at once. I gave it 2 coats for good measure. I admit, the wrinkle pattern looks different from Julian's pics...like a 1940's desk fan I have on my computer desk. But it looks wonderful. I think heat has the primary effect on the wrinkle effect.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I like the oven idea! Would you say that your wrinkles are larger or smaller than the ones in my photos? I'm wondering if the wrinkle size and density is a function of temperature.