• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A Dash Support Cover

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I would think that he's talking about the piece that straddles the trans tunnel and fastens to the dash.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The dash support that goes over the shifter and where the radio is mounted. Its metal with a vinyl padded cover. Just looking for advice on stripping the support down to metal and ordering one of the formed vinyl padded covers that glue back on. Thanks

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Sorry, I can't offer any advice here since when I did mine they weren't making the replacement covers yet. At that time used TR6 dash supports or consoles were still readily available in good condition so that's what I used.

It looks like The Roadster Factory has the covers for about $210 now.

TR4A dash support

Scott

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I would not be at all surprised if all the covers on offer are from the same manufacurer, it is a fairly low demand item, so you could
shop for price or use the vendor you prefer, I know Roadster Factory offers them, you could check with moss and victoria british as well.

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
I installed the pedestal cover from The Roaster Factory over 13 years ago. It fitted well and still now looks good, original. I would post a picture once I figure out how.

Robert
66' Tr4a irs
CTC 53788 L

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you need a cover for the tulip or flared style dash support you're out of luck as they only make the cover for a flat topped support. Look at TRF's offering and you'll see the notes.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Robert,

Would love to see a picture of a recovered one!

Jerry,

Is the flare in the aluminum or just in the cover? I had assumed it was just in the cover and unfortunately there's not enough demand to support reproducing the TR4A flared one as opposed to the later TR6 style flat top.

Scott

PeterK

Yoda
I went around with Moss on the flared center hole. They acted as if there's no such thing. I even sent photos when my cover didn't fit "down" over the flare to show them - btw, the flare is in the aluminum. Never heard back from Moss.

My fix was to used a large sanding drum and cut back the outside of the flare enough for the cover to fit. It came out OK but would have been better with a little more vendor support.

I'l hunt for the photos I sent and then edit them in this post.

Attachments

• 27681.jpg
    27681.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 187

PeterK

Yoda
The lip kept the center of the cover up and prevented it from fiting down snuggly over the console. Note the aluminum showing at the bottom of the shifter surround.

Attachments

• 27682.jpg
    27682.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 182

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Scott, Peter answered your question. My car has the flared support and my guess is your's will too since the Comm #'s are so close. Interesting that all they need to do is make the cover with a little more material and maybe it would work for both styles. At least that's what Peter's post would seem to indicate.

PeterK

Yoda
I think that there is only one outfit that supplies these covers to all vendors. My mods worked but I surely would have liked it to fit "as advertised" or at the very least, Moss could have acknowledged the difference and not treated me like I was the one that was at fault.

Anyway, dry fit first and line up the switch indentations, etc before final gluing.

Comm# is CT66715L

Rrbbeerrttoo

Banned
Stinger,
My memory had failed me, and I exagerated. I reinspected the cover I see it did not fit the slight flare mentioned in above posts. Besides, it did not look good w/o the shift cover. However, with the flexible shift bootie over the gear shift the imperfection is invisible.

Robert

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recovered mine 30+ years ago with leather. I bought a hide at a Tandy store and used contact cement. After it was covered I trimmed off the excess, leaving enough to tuck around the edges and glue to the back/bottom. Mine has a fluted hole too. Using real leather gave me enough stretch and pliability to form it into those areas, and stretched tight looks really good.
I am not using that part right now though, because I wanted to put a different radio in and did not want to destroy it in case I wanted to go back, so I used one from a TR6 that was already cut out for a big radio.

Dan B.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Its sooooo... nice to have access to the wealth of information here! We never knew there were two styles of TR4A dash supports. Luckily ours is the flat top style. Thanks guys!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Peter,

Thanks for the picture and the confirmation that at least the TR4A version had the raised lip in the aluminum. Now I wonder where the original one for my first car is at....

Can anyone confirm whether the lip was definitely removed from the dash support in the TR250? TRF shows the same recovering kit for the TR4A and the TR250 (REP322). A second for TR6's from 1969-1972 (REP323) with no hole for the interior lamp switch. And a third for TR6's from 1973-1976 (REP324) with the hole for the interior lamp switch. My first thought based on your picture of the Moss one was that the different version were based on having circular indents for the switches and cables however I don't think the TR250 had any switches or cables below the radio. I would have expected a TR250 to use the same one as an early TR6 otherwise.

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I think I answered part of my own question. The TR4A and TR250 reproduction use the same kit as they do not have the indents on the sides where the underdash speaker panels clip into.

TR250/TR6 dash supports

Scott