• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A '59 TR3A oil pan leak

Dick Burk

Freshman Member
Country flag
There's oil all over the underside of the engine. I've been able to locate a pin hole leak in the bottom of the oil pan. Not sure if that is the only problem. Can remove and try to repair, buy a used pan for about $110 or a new one for about $550. Any experienced recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Dick

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I suppose that depends on why there is a hole there. It is an unlikely spot for rust and an impact would have probably left more of a dent with a hole.

I have never done it but thinking of the metal involved it would seem practical to weld up the hole if the pan is otherwise sound.

$110 sounds pricey for a used on but I haven't really paid attention to what they go for.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I suppose that depends on why there is a hole there. It is an unlikely spot for rust and an impact would have probably left more of a dent with a hole.

I have never done it but thinking of the metal involved it would seem practical to weld up the hole if the pan is otherwise sound.

$110 sounds pricey for a used on but I haven't really paid attention to what they go for.

If you were in just stop the leak temporarily mode you may be able to screw a small sheet metal screw thru a piece of gasket paper and the hole.But if the metal is sound it should be an easy weld repair.
Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Whatever choice you make, be sure to place the flange on a flat surface and tap the metal surrounding all the holes where the studs attach it to the block. Overtightening them over the years warps them to the point where they leak.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...are the screw holes warped or have they been pounded out?

Dick - it most likely one or the other as this is a common affliction - but it is the work of a couple of minutes to flatten them again. I use a body hammer and dolly but specialized tools are not really necessary -- a ball peen hammer and a solid surface (like the anvil tail of you vise) should suit.

50 bucks is much more like it -- the 110 seemed steep to me for a part that few have but also few need.

OP
D

Dick Burk

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Marv,
Removed the pan and saw a 3"x3" area in the middle of the pan that is rusted. The pin hole leak is right in the middle of it. ****edst thing I ever saw. Not confident in the JB Weld on a broad area. If you have a good pan, I'll buy it. $50?
Cheers,
Dick

Country flag
Dick,
Justnow checked back in. Out of town tomorrow for the day. Will get a good one out Thursday and send you picture of it. In the mean time pm me your email address for pic and info.
Marv