• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

59 Bug Eye Options

Blueghost

59 Bug Eye total rebuild of serious basket case. Will not be totally original. Totally striped, setting in harbor freight engine stand rotisery, floor replacement in process. Gathering major parts. Will be going w/ disc brakes at least on front, probably wire wheels, better stereo, sound deadening material and carpet. Have 948 in very definitely 1st over rebuild condition. Almost for sure will be going w/ 5 speed conversion.

Question: Compare/contrast functional, cost, and performance differences between 948, 1098, and 1275. Fuel economy not the question. Will do all work myself except machine shop expense. I have access to affordable 1098 core (condition unk). Will gladly wait for a 1275 core for overhaul if actually better than 1098. Is the extra 177cc really worth it? Is it actually the same block, just bored more, or stroked longer? Is there a significant performance/longevity factor?

I know this is a big question and calls for opinion on taste (for which there no accounting). Looking for facts on standard performance, as well as mild enhancements, such as mild cam, slightly increased compression, Webber, enhanced exhaust.

I guess the question is: If you had a 59 Bug Eye and wanted to build a daily driver with a little zip, what would you put in it?

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
The 1275 has a lot of advantages - displacement, bhp & torque, parts availability, tuning options.

The only possible reasons I can think of for going with an earlier engine are a) originality, or b) already having a rebuilt 1098 on hand.

If you're starting from zero, you might as well have the 1275. (I'd better say it, before somebody else does...) There's no replacement for displacement! :smile:

Jedi Trainee
What he said!!!!

Cubic inches and cubic dollars ($$$) wins!!!

Wire wheels are not the best choice for daily driving. Alloys last longer.

Steve

bugimike

Yoda
I agree with Steve on the wheel choice. For the effort involved in the change-over, other than looks (if that classic look is what you want!), there are really no benefits and perhaps some additional headaches!

Country flag
No replacement for displacement true, but superchargers and nitrous can help! LOL

OP
B

Blueghost

Thanks All!

It makes shopping easier when you know what you want. I hear loud and clear that the 1275 is better, and has significant more possibilities than a 948 or 1098.

I would normally agree w/ "no replacement for displacememt." I serioulsy want to agree, assuming we are comparing apples and apples. However, my daliy driver for the last 3 years is a '78 midget, w/ no electrical problem, no engine problems, and no real performance. Just because it has 1500CC doesn't mean it is a better. I know that it is a different engine. It actually runs reasonably well in the city under 50 miles an hour.

I will be looking for the 1275 deal.

Special thanks to Silverghost. It is noteworthy that we are both ghosts (and I'm sure for different reasons), I am also from "da south side," and your profile says we share the same birthday.

Blueghost

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you're going with front discs you might as well use a late model dual brake master cylinder.
With the 1275 maybe find a cross flow radiator and a rib case gearbox.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll weigh in with an opinion on the 1098. It depends upon the way YOU drive. If you want to keep it wound up most of the time, drive it like you stole it, pretend you're at LeMans, go for the 1275. Heck bore it out, put in a cam (well, do that no matter the engine) the whole works.

BUT, if you plan to just drive around, especially if you "putter" the 1098 is a SMOOTHER engine, with just as much torque (maybe more!) in stock form than the 1275. GREAT low to mid range power. Mine pulls 5th gear from 1600 rpm with no protest whatsoever. so from about 30 mph thru 75 mph I can be all top gear. If you want to drive faster than THAT (or get to high speed quicker) do the 1275

On the back roads at LotO a guy with a 1275 left the STOP sign ahead of me and all but disappeared around the bend. I couldn't have kept up if I NAILED it, BUT as we went down the road i started reeling him in. Could have been the gearing, could have been the drivers. Hard to tell, but talking to him later he KNEW I was a'comin'-- that is until a truck pulled out between us--game over.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
1098 (mkII).....56 HP, 62 TQ

1098 (mkIII)....59 HP, 65 TQ

1275................65 HP, 72 TQ

That's all UK... am I right in thinking some of the late NA 1275's were unfortunate enough to get the Z-S carb? If so, I suppose you'd have to fit SUs before you saw as marked a difference as is shown above.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?engineaseriesf.htm

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
What's the difference between the 1098 MKII and the 1098 MK III? Bearings I know were beefed up. Head reworked? Bigger valves?