• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A garage find Bug-eye

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
This post is a follow up to a "Barn Find" post I did on the MG forum showing four MGAs in a field. The owner of that field took me to a working garage down a dirt path where a lone mechanic works on British cars mostly and a few other makes. I found this Sprite there and bought it. Today I brought it home and will put it beside my '66 BJ8. I am including a picture of the dirt drive that leads to the car graveyard. The mechanic does not want to sell anymore of the cars shown. His garage is a long concrete block building that does not even have running water yet he restores old British cars and has a very good reputation.
If the pictures are not right, this is my first attempt at posting pictures.
Charlie

Attachments

• 7941.jpg
    7941.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 7942.jpg
    7942.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 7943.jpg
    7943.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 225

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Nice find!
I might have been tempted to snag that old Porsche and Saab too!
Welcome to Spridget-dom.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy I guess nice find.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, Jack, how much of a TD project you willing to take on? I'm looking at one on the way home tomorrow:

From one friend: "I came across an ad in the "Marshall Star" work newsletter that listed an MGTD for sale. Unfortunately, the add is now about a month old, but if you're interested, call anyway. You never know.

>1953 MG TD, $2000, ___-____"

From another friend: "I called. Its a real MG TD but in bad shape. Directions given to me: North on Parkway to
Hazel Green. At Joe Quick turn right. Go 2 or 3 miles, left on Greenville Pike, straight thru a 4-way stop and it's the 6th house down. 725 Greenville Pike. Car is sitting in a field. Rik"

You interested Jack?

Bugeye_Al

Country flag
Since it's already on a trailer, you could bring it on up to my house in Virginia. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I hope to drive it up 220 and go through Roanoke on a mountain trip by this time next year. It needs brake and clutch work, but the engine will fire up and run. I need to clean out the fuel tank asap. Some other Bug-Eye owners in Oriental checked it out and said it had many original parts on it. Steering wheel, windshield, horn, grille, mats, instruments and more are original, but need cleaning up. Since it came from Colorado there is very little rust. The body is very good. I am just placing my first order for parts from VB today.
Charlie

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Intrested but not willing yet Tony. I got to get Miss Agatha right before I start anything else.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Great find. I guess there are still a number of sleeping cars out there looking for new homes.

I can hardly wait to move out of Fl, and get to where there are cars like that to be found.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - its not worth even discussing his abasurd price! However, there was a good radiator shell that could be rechromed

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The pictures look good -- should be mucho fun. I'm biased, of course, but that's just the way it is.

Welcome to the smiley world of Bugeyes! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Cm:

Looks like you have bought yourself miles of smiles.

Very Nice.

Patrick

bugimike

Yoda
Nice catch Coastalman!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif How did you talk him out of that beauty if he is unwilling to sell any of the other stuff buried there?? There has to be a story in that!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The story is that his(garage owner) sister and her husband owned it and decided they were not using it and wanted it to get a good home. It turned out that the garage owner and I had a lot of mutual acquaintances over the years of working on/fixing up/racing British cars so he felt I would be a good person to sell the car to since I shared the love of the cars. I also showed him the picture of my BJ8 so he could see the care I took with my cars. I paid just over $5000 for it and we drove it onto the trailer. I think I got a fair deal. Not having priced Bug-Eyes lately I wasn't sure, but I wanted it. You know how that goes.
Charlie

bugimike

Yoda
Nice!!! And yes, you got a great price for a driver in the condition it appears to be in in the pix!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Nice find!
I too have a 66 Bj8 and a 68 Sprite! I just bought my 59 BE 2 months ago and will race next year! I enjoy the bugeye and sprite, but it is nice to step into the big 6 of the BJ8 just to go!!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
$5k for a Bugeye in the condition that appears to be in is a very good deal. Nicely bowled, sir. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif